ASU baseball survives with victory over Oral Roberts

The Sun Devils faced elimination on Saturday and emerged victorious.

Senior pitcher Jordan Aboites winds up during a game against UA on Sunday, May 15, 2016, at Hi Corbett Field in Tucson. The Sun Devils defeated the Wildcats 5-1.

In the elimination game of the Fort Worth regional, No. 22 ASU baseball kept its postseason hopes alive with a 4-1 victory over Oral Roberts on Saturday.

Senior right-hander Jordan Aboites pitched a gem for the Sun Devils (1-1), going the distance in his first career complete game. Aboites allowed 11 hits and one earned run to go along with seven strikeouts on the day.

ASU took the lead in the first inning against the Golden Eagles (0-2) on a sacrifice fly by junior catcher Brian Serven. While neither team scored in the second and third innings, the Sun Devils padded their lead in the fourth and fifth.

Sophomore second baseman Andrew Snow brought Serven home on an RBI single in the fourth inning, and in the fifth Serven hit a two-run home run to put ASU on top 4-0. If there was a lasting theme for the Sun Devils in the scoring department on Saturday, it was Brian Serven.

Oral Roberts only managed one run in the game — an RBI single by redshirt sophomore right fielder Noah Cummings. The Golden Eagles had 11 hits in the game compared to nine for ASU, but couldn't cash in, leaving 10 runners on base.

The Sun Devils now advance to play the loser of TCU vs. Gonzaga in the regional semifinals on Sunday. If the Sun Devils are able to win that matchup, they will have to beat their next opponent twice in order to advance to the super regional.

Reach the reporter at rclarke6@asu.edu or follow @RyanTClarke on Twitter.

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow @statepresssport on Twitter.

×