2016 Pac-12 South football power rankings

Where does ASU fall in the race to Santa Clara?

Junior receiver Thomas Duarte reacts after scoring a touchdown in the fourth quarter against Arizona State on Saturday, Oct. 3, 2015, at Rose Bowl in Pasadena, California. The Sun Devils defeated the Bruins 38-23.

Green grass. Crisp white lines. The overwhelming stench of sweat mixed with sports drinks. Pac-12 football is on the horizon! With under two weeks until the Conference of Champions kicks off its year, there's still uncertainty in the air around many programs in the Pac-12 South, with one clearly rising above the rest.

1) No. 16 UCLA

Last year: 8-5 (5-4 Pac-12), third in Pac-12 South

Season opener: Texas A&M, 12:30 p.m. Sept. 3 on CBS

While sophomore quarterback Josh Rosen should take a step forward in his progression in 2016, there are question marks all over the offense. UCLA's leading rusher and two leading receivers departed for the NFL, leaving the 19-year-old signal caller with a new cast of characters in true blue and gold. Kenny Clark leaves a glaring hole on the defensive side of the ball, the Bruins return their entire starting secondary to cause problems for opposing quarterbacks. Couple Rosen's progression with the big-play ability of redshirt senior Ishmael Adams, and the Bruins are the clear favorites to represent the South in the Pac-12 Championship Game and possibly the College Football Playoff.

Prediction: 12-1, Pac-12 Champion, College Football Playoff appearance

2) No. 20 USC

Last year: 8-6 (6-3 Pac-12), first in Pac-12 South

Season opener: Alabama, 5 p.m. Sept. 3 on ABC

The Trojans keep all their weapons from a season ago, it's just a question of if they have the quarterback to utilize them. Coach Clay Helton named Max Browne the starter straight out of camp, but it's yet to be seen under the bright Saturday night lights if he can consistently perform against quality opponents as just four of his 19 career pass attempts have come against Pac-12 foes. But, USC does keep its top seven receivers and top two running backs, so the load won't fall completely on Browne's shoulders. Adoree' Jackson is back to electrify the crowd with incredible plays, heading up a defense that returns just five starters, but all four in the defensive backfield.

Prediction: 8-4, Foster Farms Bowl

3) Arizona State

Last year: 6-7 (4-5 Pac-12), fourth in Pac-12 South

Season opener: Northern Arizona, 7:45 p.m. Sept. 3 on Pac-12 Networks

ASU's ranking has more to do with the lack of talent around the league rather than anything the Sun Devils have done. Coming off the worst season of the Todd Graham era, ASU faces uncertainty behind center as redshirt sophomore Manny Wilkins and redshirt freshman Brady White continue to battle for the starting job, but the running back tandem of juniors Demario Richard and Kalen Ballage should help take the pressure off whoever is giving them the ball. The return of redshirt sophomore defensive back Armand Perry should buoy the defense and the special teams crew, led by seniors Matt Haack, Zane Gonzalez and Tim White, could be among the best in the country.

Prediction: 7-5, Las Vegas Bowl

4) Arizona

Last year: 7-6 (3-6 Pac-12), fifth in Pac-12 South

Season opener: BYU, 7:30 p.m. Sept. 3 on Fox Sports 1

Despite most their impact players returning from last season, the Wildcats still have questions. Similar to its rivals in Tempe, Arizona must decide between a pair of quarterbacks in redshirt junior Anu Solomon and redshirt sophomore Brandon Dawkins. Unlike ASU, however, is that both QBs were given time on the field in the pass, so Rich Rodriguez and staff have a better idea of what to expect moving forward.

Prediction: 6-6, non-Pac-12 bowl game

5) Utah

Last year: 10-3 (6-3 Pac-12), second in Pac-12 South

Season opener: Southern Utah, 5 p.m. Sept. 3 on Pac-12 Networks

The Utah team taking the field week one will bear little to no resemblance to the one that vied for a College Football Playoff spot for over half of last season. Gone are the leading passer, rusher and receiver to graduation, the NFL and a mission to Chile, respectively. Gone is the best punter in college football. Gone are defensive stalwarts Gionni Paul, Jared Norris and Jason Fanaika. But Andy Phillips is still kicking the ball and Kyle Whittingham still roams the sidelines, meaning the Utes will have a chance in any game, but good coaching can only do so much.

Prediction: 4-8

6) Colorado

Last year: 4-9 (1-8 Pac-12), last in Pac-12 South

Season opener: Colorado State, 5 p.m. Sept. 2 on ESPN

This is definitely a make or break year for Colorado head man Mike MacIntyre. Hired before the 2013 season, his 10-27 record puts him firmly on the hot seat. His future will likely rest on the right arm of senior quarterback Sefo Liufau and in the sure hands of junior receiver Shay Fields, who will have to emerge as a true number one target with the departure of Nelson Spruce to the NFL.

Prediction: 2-10

Reach the reporter at mtonis@asu.edu or follow @Tonis_The_Tiger on Twitter.

×