USGD is funding free breakfast for students at downtown Phoenix's football ticket booth

Getting up early for football tickets has gotten easier to tolerate for Downtown campus students

Anya Magnuson
Downtown students take advantage of free breakfast while in line for tickets to Saturday's game, Sept. 24, 2016.

After finally adding a football ticketing booth at the downtown Phoenix campus, Undergraduate Student Government Downtown has gone a step further by adding breakfast refreshments to the location during ticket distribution.

Many students sleep in on Saturday mornings after a long week of school. However, for Sun Devil die-hards, Saturday mornings during the Fall semester are days to wake up before the sun rises to reserve prime seating at the football game.

Those students quickly head toward the ticketing booth, often skipping breakfast for a certain number of hours.

Along with the new ticketing booth at the downtown Phoenix campus location, USGD will make sure students have enough energy to wait for their ticket reservations by providing free breakfast to each of them.

USGD President Jackson Dangremond said that providing breakfast to students during ticket hours was one of their incentives to spread interest in football tickets among students.

"We thought of ways to provide incentives and to further add to the game-day experience at the downtown (Phoenix) campus," he said. "As students line up as early as 5 a.m., and while ticket distribution doesn't start until 8 a.m., USGD would like to provide refreshments for those students who are receiving their wristbands."

This initiative is free to all students who wait in line.

However, Vanessa Herb, USGD's director of finance, said the Student Programing Fee that's being charged to each student's finance account is the root to their funding.

"It's all done through the automatic fee of $30 taken out of the Student Programing Fee," Herb said. "That's where this money comes from."

For USGD, having free food for college students is a strategy to gain student interest in attending football games.

USGD Vice President of Services Ernesto Hernandez said USGD would brainstorm about what they should do in order to increase the number of students reserving a ticket.

Hernandez said that with a little help from Assistant Dean of Students Ronald Briggs, having food for students in line was the most reasonable choice in getting students involved on campus.

"Food can promote more students to line up for a ticket to attend the game," Hernandez said. "Having the students go to these games is actually really important to promote Sun Devil spirit, pride and tradition university-wide."

Reach the reporter at gmijares@asu.edu or follow @thewillmijares on Twitter.

×