ASU linebackers attempt to overcome shallow depth

The Sun Devils must whether the injury and suspension storm to halt Texas Tech's high-powered offense.

Arizona State redshirt senior linebacker Carlos Mendoza tries to tackle NAU junior wide receiver Emmanuel Butler during the 44-13 victory against the Northern Arizona University Lumberjacks in Sun Devil Stadium in Tempe, Arizona, on Saturday, September 3, 2016.

Heading into the 2016 season, one thing fans of ASU football could count on was the depth and skill of the linebacking corps.

Led by redshirt senior Salamo Fiso and junior Christian Sam, the group is regarded as one of the most talented in the conference — if not the country.

Now, just a week into the season, the grouping is falling apart as the availability of Sam, Fiso and redshirt junior Marcus Ball is in question.

Fiso was suspended for game one, and Graham said he is unsure when Fiso will be back on the field. Sam was injured early in the game against NAU and has not fully participated in practice since. Ball is the only one whose outlook is certain: out for the first half due to a targeting penalty in the 44-13 win over NAU. Ball will be available in the second half.

With that, the projected starting SPUR, WILL and SAM linebackers heading into the season will not likely be factors against the Red Raiders, and the Sun Devils will have to turn to the rest of the depth.

ASU strayed from its normal defensive style last week, playing conservatively and not blitzing until the fourth quarter, which, according to redshirt senior linebacker Carlos Mendoza, allowed less-experienced players to ease into their roles and gain confidence on the field.

"Coach wanted to give us confidence in knowing that we can play base defense," Mendoza said. "Coaches wanted us to realize that we could go out there and run whatever call and win and it doesn't have be to based on blitzes."

Mendoza filled in at WILL against NAU, despite not practicing at the position all week, making five tackles to set a career high. The oft-injured linebacker has had trouble getting on the field consistently, but has stayed prepared for this opportunity.

Defensive coordinator Keith Patterson praised Mendoza's preparedness and said he conveyed that message to the rest of the team as well, making sure the next man up is always ready to be called upon.

"Carlos is one of those guys who comes in, studies the game so he's prepared," Patterson said. "The kid was going into the game as a backup, and he could have easily not taken care of his responsibilities to the team, but he answered the call."

Mendoza pointed to preparation as a point of emphasis heading into the matchup with the Red Raiders.

"People are going to go down," Mendoza said. "Things are going to happen. You just have to prepare well and I'm really excited for what's going to happen because I have a lot of faith in my team."

Joining Mendoza at SPUR for at least the first half is redshirt sophomore Tyler Whiley, who converted to linebacker from defensive back. A favorite of head coach Todd Graham since he stepped on campus, Whiley made three tackles and recorded ASU's lone sack in the game against NAU.

Whiley echoed Mendoza's and the staff's sentiments regarding the depth, saying that it doesn't matter who's out — just who's available.

"Guys have got to step up," Whiley said. "The guys that are behind also know they're only one play away, so they'll be ready come game time."

Reach the reporter at mtonis@asu.edu or follow @Tonis_The_Tiger on Twitter.

×