Louder voice, larger role for ASU women's tennis sophomore Sammi Hampton

The sophomore will play singles matches on court two rather than court five this season

Sammi Hampton, Sophomore, competes in the 2nd round of the Doubles Tournament at the 2016 ASU Thunderbird Invitational in Tempe AZ, Nov. 5,

Externalizing emotions has never been a big part of temperament on the court for ASU women's tennis sophomore Sammi Hampton.

This mental approach has aided Hampton in big matches at every level of competition.

“I’ve never really been loud on the court,” Hampton said.

Whether she was winning three consecutive high school state championships or initially struggling as a Sun Devil, Hampton exhibited a relaxed poker face.

Off the court, Hampton is an extrovert — known for being loud around her teammates. Hampton's doubles partner, senior Kassidy Jump, echoed this sentiment and considers her a leader in the locker room. 

"I told her your so competitive, and yet your so quiet," Jump said. "I said you need to bring that to tennis."

Hampton spent her freshman season on court five getting used to tougher competition. Despite suffering first-round exits at the ASU Thunderbird and Palm Springs Invitational as a freshman, the former number one junior from the state of Washington used these initial setbacks as learning experiences.

“If I played someone who didn’t hit it hard, I would go to their style,” Hampton said. “I learned to stay on it and stay aggressive."

As she played more matches, Hampton gained more confidence and continued to stay even keeled. Hampton's patience eventually paid off with a big second half of the freshman season.

After going 8-4 in the fall, Hampton ended the year on a hot streak, winning 16 of her final 20 matches.

“Every match is going to be a battle, and you have to embrace it," she said. "Last year at five was a confidence booster for me."

The departures of Desirae Krawczyk and Stephanie Vlad since last season created a void in the singles lineup, and head coach Sheila McInerney promoted Hampton to court two. 

With an opportunity in front of her, the Vancouver, Washington native embraced the "next man up" mentality. Hampton debuted in her role at the Cal Nike Invitational and went 3-1. She couldn't have asked for a better start, but it was only the beginning. 

"With our schedule, particularly in the Pac-12, she is going to be playing some of the best players in the country," McInerney said. "Not that you have an easy match at five, but she is not going to have an easy match this year for sure."

At the end of October, ASU traveled to Knoxville for the Tennessee Fall Invitational

With preseason No. 5 Ohio State waiting, Hampton knew every point was a battle and admitted for the first time in a while, feelings of worry before a competition. 

"The level of play is obviously a lot tougher, people hit a lot harder," she said. "I thought I was ready but I wasn't sure."

Hampton was disappointed with her play on day two against Wake Forest. In that moment, she realized changes were needed. 

Hampton remembered Jump's message and turned in a season, and possibly, career-defining performance. 

"She came out and competed like a star on Sunday," McInerney said. "That is the sign of a really good player, a team person."

Jump added, "I told her that is the loudest I have ever seen you on the court." 

Jump got to experience this newfound confidence first hand at this year's ASU Thunderbird Invitational, where she faced off against Hampton in the championship round.

That day, Hampton earned her first career ranked win against Anna Sanford in straight sets, 7-5, 6-1. 

In the process, she might have sealed the No. 2 position in McInerney's singles lineup.

Reach the reporter at jpjacqu1@asu.edu or follow @joejacquezaz on Twitter.

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow @statepresssport on Twitter. 

×