Freshman wins deciding match in ASU women's tennis upset over No. 16 South Carolina

Savannah Slaysman fullfilled a lifelong dream as she helped the Sun Devils earn a monumental upset against the Gamecocks

Savannah Slaysman, Freshman, competes in the Singles Main Draw at the 2016 ASU Thunderbird Invitational in Tempe AZ, Nov. 5, 2016

ASU women's tennis freshman Savannah Slaysman has dreamed about the opportunity to win the deciding match for the team she grew up watching her whole life. 

On Saturday afternoon at the McLeod Tennis Center in Lubbock, Texas, Slaysman's dream became reality.

ASU defeated No. 16 South Carolina 4-3 at the Texas Tech Invitational, part of the International Tennis Association's Kick-Off Weekend.

Slaysman claimed the first set against No. 122 Brigit Folland, 6-4. She then surrendered six match points in the second set and fell 5-7.

Despite battling muscle cramps late in the third set, Slaysman persevered and tied the deciding set at two games apiece. Slaysman took the next two games to move ahead 4-2, then traded the next three games to put herself one game away from victory.

Slaysman came through with a 6-4, 5-7, 6-4 win and picked up the biggest singles victory of her young collegiate career.

“I've never cramped before so it was important for me to stay mentally tough,” Slaysman said. “My teammates and coaches were so encouraging and cheering me on after every single point and I really wanted to win for them.

“I just kept reminding myself of all the work we've put in and that helped me fight through it. I actually didn’t know for sure that my match was the deciding point even though I did have a feeling it was ... It's an experience I will never forget.”

Head coach Sheila McInerney collected her fourth career victory versus the Gamecocks. The 2016 ITA Meritorious Service Award winner was thrilled for Slaysman and her team’s performance.

“I was really proud of our team,” McInerney said. “For Savannah as a freshman to come through and win the deciding match speaks volumes as to her ability and toughness. It was a very well-played match, and after missing out on six match points in the second set, for her to come back and win the third was incredible.”

No. 49 sophomore Sammi Hampton and junior Kelley Anderson earned the other two singles victories for the Sun Devils. Hampton defeated No. 72 sophomore Paige Cline, 6-3, 6-4. Anderson also won in straight sets, dismantling senior Caroline Dailey, 6-0, 6-0.

No. 63 senior Kassidy Jump fell to No. 62 freshman Mia Horvit in straight sets, 6-4, 6-3. Junior Nicole Fossa-Huergo dropped a 6-3, 6-2 decision to South Carolina No. 100 freshman Silvia Chinellato. Finally, senior Gussie O’Sullivan lost to junior Hadley Berg, 6-3, 6-1.

Before singles play began, ASU claimed the doubles point. Jump and Hampton were off the court in a hurry, defeating Rohrabacher and Horvit, 6-0. Meanwhile, on court No. 1, senior Alexandra Osborne and Fossa-Huergo earned a ranked win over No. 39 Berg and Cline, 6-3.

“We came out and played great doubles and the doubles point was crucial,” McInerney said. “Kelley and Sammi got off the court fairly quickly (in singles,) which also helped.”

On Sunday, ASU will play in the regional championship match against No. 13 Texas Tech. A Sun Devils win clinches a bid into the ITA Women’s Indoor Championships, scheduled for Feb. 10-13 in New Haven, Connecticut.

Reach the reporter at jpjacqu1@asu.edu or follow @joejacquezaz on Twitter.

×