ASU softball splits doubleheader to finish Mary Nutter Classic

The Sun Devils went 3-2 over the weekend in Palm Springs, California

Sophomore outfielder Ulufa (Fa) Leilua (9) hits the ball during a game against Purdue at Alberta B. Farrington Softball Stadium in Tempe, Arizona, on Friday, Feb. 10, 2017. The Sun Devils won the game, 3-0.

ASU softball finished the Mary Nutter Classic 3-2 over the weekend. The Sun Devils (12-3) split their doubleheader on Sunday winning big against UC Santa Barbara 8-0 and losing 3-0 to No. 14 Michigan. 

Freshman Alyssa Loza plays captain in a 8-0 cruise past Gauchos

Freshman pitcher Alyssa Loza remained undefeated on the season at 3-0 with her dominant performance in the first game of ASU's doubleheader Sunday against UC Santa Barbara.

Loza pitched a full five innings and struck out two, only allowing three hits with no walks.

The Sun Devil bats provided run support for Loza, enough to end the game an inning early due to run rule.

Sophomore outfielder Ulufa Leilua smashed a two-run home run to left field, her fourth of the season, to spark the ASU offense in the second inning.

Similar to the game against Illinois State, Leilua “ignited the fight,” and the Sun Devil bats awoke.

Following her home run, sophomore outfielder Skylar McCarty singled to left field to drive in two runs.

Joining the RBI parade was freshman infielder Miranda Farricker who hit a home run over the left-field wall; bringing three more runs across the plate to help ASU to an 8-0 victory. 

Sun Devil bats absent in 3-0 loss to Michigan

The Sun Devils failed to hit the scoreboard in their top-25 matchup against the No.14 Michigan Wolverines.

The Wolverines jumped on the board early to spoil junior pitcher Breanna Macha's winning mojo, which carried over from her stellar start on Friday night. The Wolverines scored two of their three runs through the first two innings.

ASU's bat would not ignite against Michigan. 

They were gifted two base runners in the sixth inning with a walk and a hit by pitch, putting a runner in scoring position. However, sophomore outfielder Ulufa Leilua couldn’t find that timely swing she found in the first game and popped up to end the inning.

Wolverine pitcher Tera Blanco threw six innings allowing just three hits and striking out five before handing the baton over to Megan Betsa, who came in relieved and struck out the side.

ASU finished the tournament 3-2 and improved to 12-3 on the season after a 9-1 start through the first two tournaments.

Next on the schedule is the 2017 Judi Garman Classic. The Sun Devils will travel to Fullerton, California to try and avenge Michigan on Thursday, March 2 at 2:30 p.m. MST.

Reach the reporter at leon.annaliese13@gmail.com or follow @lieseleon on Twitter.

×