ASU softball starts LittleWood Classic on a high note, remains unblemished

The Sun Devils earns wins over Wichita State and Illinois State in yet another double-header Friday night

Junior pitcher Dale Ryndak (77), pitches the ball during the match against Indiana at Farrington Stadium in Tempe, Arizona on Saturday, Feb. 11th, 2017. The Sun devils won the game 4 - 2.

Coming off an undefeated Kajikawa Classic last weekend, ASU softball looked to carry that winning momentum into its next set of games during the Littlewood Classic.

The Sun Devils did just that as they swept yet another double-header on Friday night, this time with wins over Wichita State and Illinois State respectively. The pair of victories improved ASU to 9-0 on the young season, its best start since 2014 when it started off the season with 18 straight wins.

Explosive first inning powers Sun Devils past Wichita State

It didn’t take long for ASU to jump ahead in game number one against Wichita State — the Sun Devils plated five runs in the first inning.

It all began with a two-run double off the bat of sophomore right fielder Ulufa Leilua that put ASU up 2-0.

Shortly after, junior left fielder Nichole Chilson chimed in, crushing a pitch over the center-field wall to give the Sun Devils a comfortable 5-0 lead.

ASU added another to its final run in the following inning to make it 6-0, but the Shockers didn't go away. WSU scored four runs in the third inning to climb back into the game

Junior starting pitcher Dale Ryndak lasted three innings, allowing eight hits on four runs while striking out three batters and eventually earning the win.

Junior pitcher Breanna Macha came in for relief in the fourth inning. Macha pitched a scoreless four innings, allowing three hits and striking out three to pick up the save. She's now pitched 19 innings on the young season, earning two wins a starter and two saves in relief.

“All she does is compete, she trusts 100 percent what she’s throwing each time," senior catcher Sashel Palacios said. "It’s really cool to see how much passion she puts into each pitch and tell on her facial expressions that she wants to get everyone out, and I think that’s what’s keeping her so successful at this level.”

Giselle Juarez hurls complete game as ASU cruises by Illinois State

Freshman pitcher Giselle Juarez (2-0) was nearly untouchable in game two of the double header for ASU, a 7-1 win over Illinois State.

Juarez recorded her first complete-game shut out as a Sun Devil. She went seven full innings, allowing just three hits and one earned run while striking out 11.

Though Juarez pitched a gem, the Sun Devil offense came through as well with a season-high 12 hits.

“It’s awesome knowing that if I give up one or three hits, they’ll have my back and come right back at them with hits and runs,” Juarez said.

It came in the second inning for that ASU offense to strike first.

Sophomore third baseman Taylor Becerra got ASU on the board in the second inning with run-scoring single down the left-field line to put the Sun Devils up 1-0.

Freshman designated hitter Emily Ramelot got her first and second RBI's as a Sun Devil with a bases-loaded single to right field in the third, increasing the lead to 3-0.

But the star of the game at the plate for ASU was sophomore outfielder Ulufa Leilua, who broke out of her somewhat slow start to the season with two home runs in the win. Prior to today, Leilua had gone just three for 11.

“Today, I just decided to break through, just be aggressive,” Leilua said. “It felt good to be back, lost it in the beginning, I finally found that momentum, and hopefully it’ll continue on to tomorrow.”

Leilua crushed a two-run homer to right center in the fourth adding that made it 6-0 ASU. Then in the sixth inning, she demolished it to left, showing off her power to all parts of the ballpark and putting the Sun Devils ahead 7-1 in the process.

“I wish I had her strength. She comes out every day with a lot of energy and a smile on her face, she goes to work," head coach Trisha Ford said. "She did well last year but just needed to mature a little bit, and I’ve been really proud with her progress. She’s a tough one. You can’t get comfortable on the mound with her in the box.”

The Redbirds did break up the shut out in the sixth inning, but it was too little, too late. 

ASU now looks to carry this winning mojo into day two of the Littlewood Classic with yet another double-header on Saturday. The Sun Devils get Illinois State once more at 5:15 p.m. MST, followed by Missouri for game two at 8:00 p.m.

Reach the reporter at leon.annaliese13@gmail.com or follow @lieseleon on Twitter.

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow @statepresssport on Twitter.

×