ASU hockey finishes season with big win over US U-18

Following a Friday night loss, ASU sent its seniors off on a high note with a win on Saturday

Freshman Brinson Pasichnuk (39) looks to pass the puck in the game against Simon Fraser at the Oceanside Ice Arena in Tempe, Arizona on Saturday, Feb. 11, 2017.

After falling to the U-18 U.S. National Team Development Program Friday night, ASU hockey rebounded in a rematch on Saturday to win 6-3 in its final game of the season.

Senior forward Ryan Belonger scored ASU’s fourth goal – eventually the game-winning tally – in the exhibition match that was the final contest of his college career.

Forward Scott Reedy scored all three of NTDP’s goals for the hat trick as no one else was able to get a shot past ASU goalie Robert Levin. He was another senior who ended his college career on a high note, stopping 34 of 37 shots and earning the win.

“Ryan Belonger obviously scored a goal in the third to help extend a lead,” head coach Greg Powers said through Sun Devil Athletics. “Rob Levin had maybe the best game he's played all year and in his career – to end that way against this team and get a win, that kid deserves it. He deserves that game, that win and that game puck. We're going to miss him very much."

Though ASU’s official NCAA slate ended on Feb. 4 at Western Michigan, Saturday’s win was momentous, coming against a hockey factory that has produced dozens of NHL players.

"I'm so proud of our guys," Powers said. “Couldn't be happier for the way this ended for our seniors. It's poetic justice for some great kids and great all-time Sun Devils.”

The Sun Devils scored first on Saturday with a goal from sophomore forward Jack Rowe. Reedy tied it back up in the first period at 1-1, but freshman forwards Tyler Busch and Brinson Pasichnuk each scored in the second to give ASU a 3-1 lead at the second intermission.

From there, ASU never looked back. Belonger scored at 6:18 of the third period, and sophomore defenseman Liam McGing buried one with nearly nine minutes remaining.

Though Reedy finished his hat trick in the final frame, sophomore forward Anthony Croston put home an empty-netter for ASU’s sixth and final goal.

Seniors came through and goals were abundant for the Sun Devils on Saturday – a fitting end to the program’s first full NCAA season.

"What a great exclamation point on what we think is a really good season to get our program heading in the right direction,” Powers said.

Reach the reporter at matthew.layman@asu.edu or follow @Mattjlayman on Twitter.

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow @statepresssport on Twitter.

×