ASU women's tennis confident before welcoming two top-10 opponents to Tempe this weekend

Head Coach Sheila McInerney wants her team to play their best tennis at the end of matches against Ohio State and Pepperdine

ASU senior Kassidy Jump competes in a singles match against Nevada at the Whitemans Tennis Center in Tempe, Arizone on Friday Feb. 17, 2017.

ASU women’s tennis took care of business last weekend in California, by securing two shutouts against San Diego State University and the University of San Diego, but the end result was not the main focus for head coach Sheila McInerney.

The No. 35 Sun Devils (5-1) were supposed to beat the Aztecs and the Toreros. Both San Diego schools are under .500, and under McInerney’s leadership, ASU had never lost to San Diego and had taken 13 of 16 meetings from SDSU.

After getting rained out twice already this season, the team was glad to play back-to-back matches for the first time since the Texas Tech Invitational in late January. 

“Like any athlete, you want to keep playing, two matches in a weekend is perfect for the kids,” McInerney said. “This time of the year, you’re getting antsy to keep playing, which is good.”

Over the next three weeks, ASU will have played two matches every weekend.

This Friday and Sunday, the Sun Devils will play No. 9 Pepperdine and No. 2 Ohio State, and then square off with Colorado on March 10 and Utah on March 11, to open Pac-12 play.

McInerney said playing more matches helps players in different ways, but said with the regular season in full swing, players would prefer to compete instead of doing extra drills at practice to stay match ready.

“In some ways, matches are easier than practice,” McInerney said. “Matches should be tough, I don’t care if you’re a football player or what. Players look forward to game day, because they get to play a game.”

McInerney said her players have looked sharper and feel more comfortable with their games at practice this week, and the 2016 ITA Southwest Region and Pac-12 Conference Coach of the Year hopes those good vibes translate into competitive performances this weekend.

Senior Kassidy Jump, ranked No. 79 in the latest International Tennis Association singles rankings, said getting consecutive matches under her belt on court one in San Diego will help her stay confident this weekend. She will face two top-10 opponents in singles: No. 8 Luisa Stefani of Pepperdine and No.1 Francesca Di Lorenzo of Ohio State.

“We’re pretty much halfway through, but really starting up now,” Jump said, speaking about the effect of two rainouts on the team. “It is very important for me to be in match rhythm; I want to be sure each match I play I’m feeling good and confident at this point in the season.”

Fellow-senior Alex Osborne, who primarily plays doubles, said playing back-to-back matches for the first time in over a month helped improve the chemistry between her and junior partner Nicole-Fossa Huergo.

“Nicole and I are getting to play tougher teams coming up, so match practice is what we really need!,” Osborne said. “Both of us are really looking forward to this weekend. It will be a big challenge for us, but a good one that will prepare us really well for Pac-12 play.”

McInerney, knowing that the lighter portion of her team’s schedule has passed, said playing well against teams like the Wave and Buckyees requires a player’s best tennis – something that comes with match play experience.

Ultimately, McInerney wants her players to know that they competed, learned and grew from this weekend’s experience and said a sold out crowd would help.

“You just have to be tough. There is no magic potion or wand that you can wave, you just have to be gritty, because we know that they are (Pepperdine and Ohio State),” McInerney said. “Against good teams, hopefully we are thick into the match and playing some setters, and if that is the case, you have to be able to close matches.”

Notes from Practice:

Jump said she is looking forward to tough matches this weekend.

“I’m really excited for this weekends matches both for myself and the team,” Jump said. “Throughout this season, it’s been a little up and down for me, but I hope to buckle it down this weekend. I want to be able to go out there be patient and play my game.”

McInerney said nothing will come easy against either the Wave or the Buckyees

“Its nice to get them at home,” McInerney said. “Both teams are better than they were a year ago and have added some players. We are going to have our hands full for sure.”

McInerney provided an update on sophomore Sammi Hampton’s condition. Hampton was a full participant during Wednesday’s practice and is moving better – she is not 100 percent and McInerney said giving her rest in between matches will be critical.

Reach the reporter at jpjacqu1@asu.edu or follow @joejacquezaz on Twitter.

×