Five food apps to try during finals week

Student friendly apps offer discounts for food and drink options

Food App

"Food? There's an app for that." Illustration published on Thursday, April 27, 2017.

As finals approach, many students are hunkering down to study, using apps that deliver food from local restaurants to keep themselves going through all night study sessions and final projects. 

Community health freshman April Francis said, she is open to new apps such as Hooked and Groupon

Francis has had a beneficial experience when it comes to using food apps on campus. She recounted a time in which she was especially hungry and busy during the semester, and said that she would get eight meals a week on her meal plan that would quickly run out. 

"I only had a little bit of money," she said. "I would use apps to get something to fill me up."

She said food apps in general save her money, especially when a deal is as good as "buying two items for the price of one."

Five food apps are circulating on campus, offering discounts to coffee shops and restaurants within walking distance of the ASU Tempe campus.

Hooked

From free froyo to 25-50 percent off of food and drinks, this free app ensures a good deal for students at ASU with the click of a button.

Participating restaurants and fast food spots include Denny’s, D.P. Dough, Fuzzy’s Taco Shop, Loco Patrõn, Papa Johns, Pita Pit, Rosita’s Fine Mexican Food, The Blend, The Munchies Café, 1865 Coffee and many more.

Early childhood and early childhood special education freshman Shanena Tate, a barista at 1865 Coffee, said apps like Hooked provides food and drink deals for students which brings customers into the small business.

“We are a college town catering to college students and everyone who works here are college students," she said. "It’s very helpful with saving money."

Tate said the coffee shop started off with an offer of a free bagel with cream cheese, but now they have several new coupons through the app, including $1 off any specialty beverage.

Rovertown

This free app offers college students a wide array of food discounts using geofencing to guarantee a discount everywhere they go.

Named “The Best App for Saving Money in College,” according to About.com, this app includes features such as a referral tab (with each referral earn credit which turns into cash) and a recommendation tab (to recommend popular businesses in the area).

Among the features, the student ID tab is a helpful one for students who want to receive a discount by using their student ID. Simply take a picture of the ID and the captured photo will be saved under the ID tab.

Groupon

Working with thousands of small business owners, Groupon offers the widest variety of discounts of any app, which are easily accessible to students.

Johnny Rockets, Native Grill & Wings, My Pie, 414 Pub and Pizza, Salut Kitchen Bar, Fresh Millions Restaurant, Kingo Bowl and more restaurants are available on Groupon with special deals that can be purchased and used as a digital coupon.

“I guess as a student you need any help you can get,” psychology senior Alexandra Inmon said. 

She said she recommends Groupon to any students who want to eat something good for a low price.

Specials

Much like the others, Specials alerts students of food discounts near and far through geographing, but the unique draw of the app is the "regular" customer deals other apps don't pick up on. 

Applebee’s, Baskin-Robbins, Buffalo Wild Wings, Dunkin’ Donuts, Jack In the Box, and Olive Garden are some of the many restaurants that have discounts within the app.

Special discounts the app offers are the free birthday and free food coupons as well as numerous buy one get one free alerts.

College Discounts

Constantly changing their selection, College Discounts offers more than just fast food options.

From over 2,000 local discounts, the app also offers discounts to nearby stores such as Walmart and Target that offer organic and sustainable food choices.

Other dining options available in the app include GNC, Subway, Dunkin’ Donuts, McDonald’s and Papa Johns.

Reach the reporter at quindrea.yazzie@asu.eduor follow @quindreayazzie on Twitter.

Like State Press on Facebook and follow @statepresss on Twitter.

×