ASU baseball loses series to Washington

The Sun Devils have their bats silenced in two of the three losses to Washington, lose 30-win season streak in the process

ASU sophomore shortstop Jeremy McCuin (10) picks up the ball in an attempt to throw to first base during game two of a baseball series versus Loyola Marymount University in Phoenix Municipal Stadium in Phoenix on Saturday, March 4, 2017. ASU lost 3-2.

The Sun Devils road woes continue with a series loss at the University of Washington (26-22, 12-12 Pac-12) this weekend. 

Arizona State (22-26, 8-16 Pac-12) did manage to salvage a win, but it wasn't enough as the Huskies pitching held the Sun Devils scoreless in their two losses. 

The Sun Devils now have a 5-13 record away from Phoenix Municipal Stadium. With this series, loss ASU's streak of 54 consecutive 30-win seasons is over. For the Sun Devils to finish with a winning record, they must go at least 6-1 in their final regular season games.

Game One

ASU had no answer for Huskies pitcher Noah Bremer in a 4-0 loss. Bremer pitched a complete game and only allowed one hit to the Sun Devils and struck out 10 ASU batters and gave up just one walk. 

Washington senior first baseman John Naff and senior centerfielder Jack Meggs both picked up RBI's, while junior second baseman Andrew Snow had the only hit for the Sun Devils.

ASU junior pitcher Eli Lingos pitched five innings and gave up three earned runs off four hits and four walks.

Game Two

The Sun Devils' bats led the way to a 8-5 win. In a game where every ASU batter had a hit, it was sophomore third baseman Jeremy McCuin who led the way, going 3-4 with two doubles, two runs scored and an RBI. 

Snow and freshman right fielder Hunter Bishop also contributed, both going 2-4 with two RBI and one run scored. 

After sophomore starting pitcher Connor Higgins gave up six hits and three earned runs in 3 2/3 innings pitched, junior reliever Ryan Hingst limited UW to five hits and two runs over five innings.

Game Three

ASU had a repeat of the first game in its final game of the series, losing 4-0 to the Huskies again. 

This time it was UW sophomore pitcher Joe DeMers who dominated the Sun Devils. He threw eight innings, striking out eight batters while giving up nine hits.

On the offensive side, the Huskies got RBI doubles from freshman catcher Nick Kahle and sophomore infielder Willie MacIver.

Sophomore outfielder Gage Canning and junior first baseman Taylor Lane both had two hits for ASU.

Reach the reporter at mpharri7@asu.edu or follow @Harris_Mark7 on Twitter.

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow @statepressport on Twitter.

×