ASU triathlon wins its second national title

Henry, Ahrens and Roy led the Sun Devils to their second consecutive national title on Sunday

Hannah Henry Finishes First

ASU freshman Hannah Henry (20) finishes in first place in the Women’s Collegiate Triathlon National Championship in Tempe, Arizona on Sunday, Nov. 5, 2017.

ASU’s triathlon team earned its second consecutive national title at the 2017 Women's Collegiate Triathlon National Championship on Sunday in Tempe.

Three triathletes from ASU's triathlon team finished in first, second and third place, giving them a score of six points to take away the title. 

The top finisher for the women was freshman Hannah Henry. The second finisher for the Sun Devils was sophomore Charlotte Ahrens and shortly after her was freshman Kyla Roy.

“It feels awesome, triathlon in the college level is so new, so it’s awesome that ASU is already doing so well,” Henry said. 

With senior Katie Gorczyca, a top finisher for the Sun Devils — out with a broken wrist — the team looked for other triathletes to fill that spot and they did not disappoint. 

ASU knew there was a lot of pressure and eyes on them since they won the title the pervious year. To add even more pressure, the meet was held at Tempe Town Lake — the Sun Devils' own backyard. 

“It’s really cool to have it at home. At first I was a little nervous because I was like, ‘Wow there are going to be so many eyes on me,’ but actually that turned out to be one of the best things possible especially for this race,” sophomore Delaney Bucker said. 

Bucker said to have so many fans come out and support her team made it an exciting race.

“It’s great that we got to race here in Tempe because we got to practice the course, and we have so much support out today which is awesome to see,” Henry said. 

Head coach Cliff English was pleased about Sunday's national championship meet. 

“(I am) very happy, quite relieved,” English said. “It’s incredible — the girls were unbelievable — that’s all we can ask for.”

With the top finishers being freshmen and sophomores, the Sun Devils have a young team filled with talent that will be around for a few more years.

"It’s gonna be incredible — we got a long amount of time now to keep preparing for next year,” English said. 

Reach the reporter at cncarte1@asu.edu or follow @CCydeni on Twitter.

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow @statepressport on Twitter. 

×