ASU softball shuts out Liberty University in second straight win

The complete game shut out lifts Sun Devils to victory over Liberty University Flames

_MG_6306.jpg

ASU freshman infielder Danielle Gibson (41) runs to first base in a game against Indiana State at Alberta B. Farrington Softball Stadium in Tempe, Arizona, on Saturday, Feb. 17, 2018.

The Sun Devils won by a score of 6-0 against the Liberty University Flames on Saturday, after picking up a 9-5 win Feb. 23. 

The No. 17 ASU softball team was lifted by the outstanding pitching performance from sophomore Giselle Juarez who allowed no runs and three hits through seven innings pitched.

On offense, ASU was lifted by a pair of home runs. A two-run blast in the first inning from sophomore catcher Maddi Hackbarth and a solo shot in the fourth inning from freshman infielder Danielle Gibson to give the Sun Devils a 3-0 lead.

The Sun Devils tacked on two more runs in the top of the seventh thanks to a double from sophomore outfielder Kindra Hackbarth.

The Sun Devils tacked on another run in the top of the seventh due to a bunt single from sophomore infielder Jade Gortarez as ASU took a 6-0 lead into the bottom of the seventh.

From there, Juarez retired three straight Liberty batters to secure the shutout victory.

Juarez was dominant all game. The sophomore tossed 10 strikeouts and did not allow a single hit until the fifth inning. 

This impressive performance lowered Juarez's ERA to 1.49 on the season.

Next up the Sun Devils will take on Cal State Fullerton to for their final game of the Mary Nutter Classic Sunday, Feb. 25 at 3 p.m. MST. 

With their win over Liberty, the Sun Devils improved to 3-1 in the 2018 Mary Nutter Classic.

Reach the reporter at Joshua.Zaklis@asu.edu and follow @JoshZaklis on Twitter.

×