ASU Police warn of sex traffickers targeting college parties

Reports describe traffickers attempting to 'recruit and coerce' women into prostitution

breaking news.jpg

Hayden Library is pictured on Monday, Nov. 2, 2015, on ASU's Tempe campus. 

The ASU Police Department warned against a recent trend of sex traffickers targeting students at college parties in a safety bulletin published on Thursday. 

The bulletin says law enforcement partners advised ASU Police of the issue and that reports describe traffickers attending college parties and events in order to "recruit and coerce" women into prostitution. 

"These efforts include photographing or getting students into compromising situations," the bulletin said. "The traffickers use threats of force or exposure to the campus community to persuade victims into prostitution.''

"The safety and security of our students is our top priority," ASU Police spokesperson Katy Harris said in a statement. "We are passing along this information to promote awareness."

Specific threats or cases were not mentioned in the bulletin. The police bulletin links to the Office of Sex Trafficking Intervention Research in the School of Social Work for more information.

The office's website says its goal "is to be a central source of research on domestic sex trafficking."

The Tempe Police Department was not immediately available for comment.

Any information about trafficking on campus is asked to be reported to ASU police at 480-965-3456. 

This story will be updated as more information is made available.

Reach the reporter at mlutesad@asu.edu or follow @mackinleyjade on Twitter. 

×