ASU's Chun An Yu participated in his first major tournament over the weekend

Chun An Yu was eliminated in the second round of the U.S. Open

Golf_4 18.JPG

ASU sophomore Chun An Yu swings for the green on hole six at the Maui Jim Invitational in Carefree, Arizona on Saturday, Sept. 23, 2017.

ASU sophomore Chun An Yu's first career U.S. Open appearance at Shinnecock Hills Golf Club ended in the second round on Thursday, June 14.

Yu qualified for the major golf tournament after shooting 8-under 135 at the Lake Merced Sectional Qualifier in Daly City, CA on June 4.

The Taiwan native played alongside six former Sun Devils that included PGA Champion Phil Mickelson, RBC Canadian Open qualifier Chez Reavie, Paul Casey, Matt Jones, Pat Perez and Jon Rahm.

During the first-round, the 19-year-old struggled, shooting six-over 70 with six bogies and and one double-bogey, but he managed to hit two birdies.

During the second round, Yu hit 11-over 70, which left him short of advancing to the third round of play.  

Nevertheless, the performance from Yu was nothing to be ashamed of. As just a sophomore in college, the ASU product got an opportunity to participate in his first major.

Yu has many more years of golf ahead of him, and the experience on one of golf's biggest stages can surely pay dividends as he gets set for the rest of his career in Tempe.

Aside from the U.S. Open, ASU's men's golf team has four representatives competing at the British Amateur Championships in Scotland this week. Sophomore Blake Wagoner, sophomore Alex Del Rey, freshman Paul Chaplet, and freshman Mason Andersen are all participating in the tournament.

With a group full of underclassmen that are looking to grow heading into next year, Yu and his Sun Devil teammates certainly look to be making the most of their offseason.

Reach the reporter at Edith.Noriega@asu.edu or follow @Noriega_Edith on Twitter. 

×