Marleen Schimmer scores early to lift ASU soccer past NAU 1-0

The Sun Devils defeated Northern Arizona 1-0

091418GirlsSoccerVNAU6.jpg

ASU senior defender Jemma Purfield (11) drives forward in a game against Northern Arizona University at Max Spilsbury Field at Lumberjack Stadium in Flagstaff, Arizona, on Friday, Sept. 14, 2018.

ASU freshman foward Marleen Schimmer's first goal of the season at the four-minute mark of the first half earned her team a 1-0 win against Northern Arizona on Friday night in Flagstaff.

The last matchup between the two teams ended in an ASU 4-2 win in 2014

Schimmer's early connection in the game was assisted by sophomore forward Olive Jones, and that gave the Sun Devils their second consecutive win and improves the team's record to a 4-2 overall. 

The Sun Devils got an early start offensively in the first two minutes of the match when senior defender Jemma Purfield had two shot attempts. One of Purfield's shots was blocked by NAU sophomore goalkeeper Taryn Benham.

The Lumberjacks offense was held to a minimum through the entire match by ASU, who allowed just one shot on goal. 

NAU's only shot attempt was by senior defender Victoria Cooper at the five-minute mark, which was then saved by ASU sophomore goalkeeper Nikki Panas.

So far this season, ASU has recorded four shutout wins, and Panas is averaging a 0.875 save percentage in her four starts. 

ASU will return home to play against Weber State for their final non-conference match of the season on Sunday, Sept. 16 at 1 p.m. MST. 

Reach the reporter at Edith.Noriega@asu.edu or follow @Noriega_Edith on Twitter. 

×