Full House's Dave Coulier and HQ Trivia's Scott Rogowsky are coming to ASU

The 2018 ASU Homecoming Comedy Show will feature the 'cut it out' icon and the HQ app host

Comics.jpg

ASU's homecoming week will kickoff with two comedy stars, Dave Coulier and Scott Rogowsky on Oct. 29, 2018. 

Two different voices will be showcased for the 2018 Homecoming Comedy Show: trivia and 90s sitcom.

Dave Coulier, who plays Uncle Joey on the popular show "Full House," and Scott Rogowsky, HQ Trivia’s primary host, will kickoff this year's ASU Homecoming week.

On Monday, Oct. 29, students are invited to attend this free event at the Student Pavilion.  

Gloria LaBrash, a junior majoring in business and president of Programming and Activities Board, oversees the live entertainment department of PAB. She said she played an instrumental role in planning the night and deciding who would perform.

“We talked about who and what is ‘in’ right now — ultimately, we landed on these two names, and everyone is very excited,” LaBrash said.

She said between the "Fuller House" reboot and the craze of the HQ trivia app, the two stand-up comedians will put on entertaining shows.

“Their routines are both very diverse," LaBrash said. "We’re excited to show everybody what kind of comedy they have. (Students) can learn from their careers and their expertise about what they put in their show.”

Along with his role as the primary host for HQ, Rogowsky hosts his own talk show with his father titled "Running Late with Scott Rogowsky."  

Dave Coulier’s fame continued after "Full House," as he is currently on tour doing stand-up comedy across the country.  He has also hosted "World’s Funniest Videos," "America’s Funniest People" and other comedy shows.

Bailey Sullivan, a freshman majoring in community health, said she is looking forward to seeing both of these comedians.

“I grew up with 'Full House,' and I would love to see Dave Coulier in person and hopefully meet him,” Sullivan said. “Scott Rogowsky is an interesting guy. He always has something to talk about and is full of energy.”

PAB hosted a Last Comic Standing competition on Oct. 3 in which eight ASU student comedians competed to be the opening act spot for the Homecoming Comedy Show.  LaBrash said a panel of judges and audience participation were used to choose the winner of this year’s competition, Nico Pacioni.

Pacioni, a freshman majoring in aerospace engineering, is a part of Barren Mind Improv at ASU. He said he has prepared for the event by participating in open mic nights and is humbled by the opportunity to perform.

“I could not put a number of hours to how much time I spent watching (Dave Coulier) on nick@nite,” Pacioni said. “Opening for him will be a surreal experience.”

Rachel Javorsky, a senior majoring in film making, was the winner for last year’s competition. She opened for the 2017 performers, Michael Che and Colin Jost.

Read More: SNL's Michael Che and Colin Jost are coming to ASU

“Having the opportunity to do the Homecoming Comedy Show and having huge names like Colin Jost and Michael Che associated with my name has opened so many doors for me professionally,” Javorsky said. “It is really rare to get something like this at a college campus.”

She said she advises the opening act for this year to “practice, practice, practice,” and she is excited to watch the show.

The comedy act will take place in the Senita Ballroom in the Student Pavilion. Tickets are available for students through the ASU app.

Reach the reporter at eborst@asu.edu and follow @ellieeborstt on Twitter. 

Ellie BorstExecutive Editor 2021-22

Ellie Borst is the executive editor of The State Press, overseeing the publication and its four departments: online, magazine, multimedia and engagement. She plans to graduate in May 2022 with her master's in legal studies and got her bachelor's in journalism in 2021. Previous roles she has held since joining SP in 2018 include digital managing editor, magazine managing editor, community and culture desk editor, and arts and culture reporter.

×