Sustainability, but make it fashion

From thrift store racks to runway: old looks are getting a new life at the Fashion Journalism Club's recycled fashion show

11218FashionJournalismClub2.jpg

ASU freshman and writer for The Chic Daily, Olivia Munson, poses for a photo on ASU's downtown campus in Phoenix, Arizona, on Monday, Nov. 12, 2018.

The Fashion Journalism Club wants to prove that it's possible to make high-end looks on a budget through their first ever fashion show featuring entirely recycled looks.

Gabrielle Hester, a junior majoring in journalism and president of the FJC, said the theme of the show is sustainable and thrifted fashion.

“We wanted to bring awareness to thrifting and how second hand clothing isn’t bad,” Hester said.

Hester said the fashion show will be a great way to promote their club and The Chic Daily, FJC’s online blog.

“Our main message is that journalism can be fun and fashion journalism is a serious thing that people pursue,” she said. “You can actually make a career out of it.”

Members of FJC will act as the stylists for the show, putting together their own lines to walk the runway including Olivia Munson, a freshman majoring in journalism.

Munson said she is collaborating with another member of FJC, Autumn Schieferstein, to create a line consisting of 10 total looks split into two sets of interpretations of the line. 

“We’re doing chic professional,” Munson said. “One is a color-based look and the other one is a black-and-white base.”

Munson said she is excited to give The Chic Daily’s name more recognition.

“People are interested but no one seems to take us seriously,” she said. “Now people are going to think ‘Oh, they do cool stuff like this, maybe I should get involved.'”

Jaslyn Ravenscraft, a junior majoring in journalism and the social media director for FJC, said she is proud of the hard work the girls have put into putting the fashion show together.

“We came up with the idea about a month ago,” she said. “I want to show these girls that if you work as a team, anything is possible.”

Ravenscraft said she has worked to make graphics and promote the show on social media and has found some recycled items for show decor to give the show a vintage feel.

Overlooking the city lights, the show will take place on the rooftop pool of the Sun Devil Fitness Complex on ASU's downtown Phoenix campus on Nov. 14. 

The event is free to attend and food will be provided, but the club members ask that all attendees bring at least one article of clothing to donate to the Phoenix Rescue Mission.

Ravenscraft said the donations will be a great way to give back to the community through the platform of their fashion show.

“We’re trying to encourage people to clean out their closets and instead of throwing away their clothes, to recycle them because there’s people that could really need them,” Ravenscraft said. 

Continuing the thrifting theme, she said she hopes the event will also inspire students to get creative with the pieces they already have.

“I’m hoping people take away that you can make so much out of the clothes you have in your closet,” she said. “You don’t have to have a huge budget to look good.”

Editors note: Arts editor MacKinley Lutes-Adlhoch was the editor-in-chief for The Chic Daily for the 2017-2018 school year.  

Reach the reporter at eborst@asu.edu and follow @ellieeborstt on Twitter. 

Ellie BorstExecutive Editor 2021-22

Ellie Borst is the executive editor of The State Press, overseeing the publication and its four departments: online, magazine, multimedia and engagement. She plans to graduate in May 2022 with her master's in legal studies and got her bachelor's in journalism in 2021. Previous roles she has held since joining SP in 2018 include digital managing editor, magazine managing editor, community and culture desk editor, and arts and culture reporter.

×