USG Tempe removes VP of Policy from office

USGT senators voted on Monday to remove Vice President of Policy John Gimenez from his position

USGTVPP.jpg

John Gimenez, USG Tempe Vice President of Policy, poses for a photo on ASU's Tempe campus on Thursday, March 1, 2018.

Undergraduate Student Government Tempe voted to remove its Vice President of Policy, John Gimenez, from office during an executive session on Monday, Nov. 5.

During the trial, which was closed to the public, Gimenez defended himself against articles of impeachment that were introduced last week on Tuesday, Oct. 30. 

USGT charged Gimenez with nonfeasance and misconduct last week, saying that Gimenez had stirred up internal conflict in USG.

Read more: USG Tempe issues impeachment articles against policy VP

As required in the USGT Senate bylaws, Gimenez was given the chance to resign. When he refused to do so, the Senate voted 11-3 to remove him, according to marketing sophomore Nicole Morote, the pro-tempore Senate President presiding over the trial.

"The Senate voted in favor of the articles of impeachment with a three-fourths majority vote, per our bylaws," Morote said.

Gimenez expressed disappointment about his removal in a written statement to The State Press following the trial.

"The past seven days have been extremely difficult for myself and those closest to me," he said. "For the past two years, I've put countless amounts of time and energy into this organization to ensure it serves all students."

Gimenez questioned the fairness of the trial and said he would ask the ASASU Supreme Court to investigate. 

"There were admitted gross missteps in the adjudication and administration of justice throughout the trial," read the statement. "I intend to take this on and ask the Supreme Court to look into the lack of due process, fairness and impartiality."

Reach the reporter at krquaran@asu.edu and follow @kiaraquaranta on Twitter. 

×