Video: Experience the Arizona Outdoor Club's most recent backpacking trip

ASU student and outdoor enthusiast reflects on his recent backpacking trip with the club

Arizona Outdoors Club- Sycamore Backpacking Trip

Arizona Outdoors Club members at Sycamore Canyon on January 26, 2019.

ASU Outdoors Club takes a backpacking trip to Sycamore Canyon. This is trip was for beginner backpackers. Join us on the adventure and see what the club is all about.

Music: Topher Mohr and Alex Elena - Sunflower (Royalty Free Music) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpxqOtl-Pgg&list=PLmurGgZIgor66BEzIwwMYqTjYNcVbFD32&index=27

Transcript:

[00:00:09] My name is Zach. I'm a former Marine. I'm an ASU student now, and I joined the Arizona outdoors club, part of ASU. What the club does is they take students and they go explore new places together and they share their experiences together, and that's what I like to do. I like to go adventure and explore new places.  

[00:00:45] So the this past weekend we went to Sycamore Canyon, and the backpacking trip was meant to be for beginner backpackers.  

[00:00:56] Society can really stress everybody out. What backpacking does, just by going outside exploring nature, it allows you to separate yourself from all the stress you have back at home. This club with ASU really allows people to get out and explore Arizona.  

[00:01:20] After leaving the military, the first few months were a tough transition for me because it was hard to meet new people. AOC (Arizona Outdoors Club) was a great opportunity to meet new people that share similar interests with me. Through this club, I met a lot of new and interesting people that I never would have met. Being able to explore nature with new people really allows for a strong bonding experience. There's nothing better than being around a fire sharing stories and experiences with new people. You're establishing new bonds with those people who could potentially become long time friends.  

[00:02:19] Through the canyon, as long as you follow the river you're fine. There are supposed to be trails on the sides of the river. My team never found the trails so we ended up going through the brush with all the trees and across the river multiple times.  

[00:02:31] It made our experience a lot more memorable because it was so much different. It was way more difficult, but it was a lot of fun going through all the brush instead of following a trail head because that's where the adventure is. 

Reach the reporter at aaalva11@asu.edu or follow @abisai_alvarez on Twitter.

Like State Press on Facebook and follow @statepress on Twitter.

×