ASU swim and dive splits meet with Arizona

Both teams will now gear up for the Pac-12 Championships in Washington

092818MaroonandGoldScrimmage5.jpg

ASU junior Cierra Runge swims the women's 1000-yard freestyle during the Maroon and Gold Scrimmage at Mona Plummer Aquatic Center in Tempe, Arizona, on Friday, Sept. 28, 2018. 

In the team's final road meet of the season, the ASU swim and dive teams split a pair of matchups with UA in Tucson. 

The women's team lost by a final score of 180.5-119.5, while the No. 15 ranked ASU men's team captured a victory, 159.5-140.5.

Despite the loss, sophomore Emma Nordin set the school record in the 1000 free, with a time of 9:40.71, and junior Cierra Runge also broke the school's 200 free time with 1:44.04.

Runge also earned her first first-place medal of the season in the 500 free event.

More first place finishes came from junior Chloe Isleta, who took first in the 200 back for the fifth time this season and sophomore Ashley McCool, who posted a score of 344.63 in the 3M. 

On the men's side, sophomores Carter Swift and Evan Carlson took first and second, respectively, in the 100 free event. Sophomore Grant House also took first in the 200 free, while junior Zach Poti won each backstroke event. 

House finished up the afternoon with a win in the 400 free relay to seal the ASU win.

Next up, the Sun Devils will compete in the Pac-12 Championships in Federal Way, Washington. The men's event will take place Feb. 27 through March 2, while the women's event will be the following week.

Reach the reporter at kmgianco@asu.edu and follow @Kaleb_Mart on Twitter.

×