ASU football lacks action on National Signing Day

With spring practice in full swing, the Sun Devils landed only one notable commitment on Wednesday

SigningDay.jpg

ASU Coach Herm Edwards talks at a press conference about junior wide receiver N'Keal Harry (1) entering the NFL draft in Tempe, Arizona, on Monday, Nov. 26, 2018.

There was little activity on the recruiting front from ASU football on National Signing Day.

Most of the Sun Devils' work came during the early signing period in mid-December, when the team landed 17 commitments, including quarterbacks Jayden Daniels, Joey Yellen and Ethan Long, who all saw action this week.

ASU's lone commitment on Wednesday came from linebacker Elijah Juarez out of Long Beach Poly in Long Beach, CA.

Juarez joins an ASU defense that is bound to lose some productivity from last season as three notable defensive transfers leave the Sun Devils a bit short-handed at the start of spring practice.

"We're going to bring more guys in here and give them opportunities," coach Herm Edwards said on Tuesday. "We're thin right now, but help is on the way."

With unused scholarships following National Signing Day, Edwards plans to capitalize on some potential late recruits and graduate transfer adds.

"We keep a couple extras," Edwards said. "That's kind of our plan as well, and I think that's what helps us with spring ball because we can evaluate our guys ... we'll see who fits our DNA."

As the Sun Devils' roster begins to take shape in 2019, the team will look to improve on its record  from last season (7-6, 5-4 Pac-12) following the departures of offensive fixtures Manny Wilkins and N'Keal Harry

After an off-day on Thursday, ASU will hit the practice field again on Friday and Saturday this week.

The Sun Devils' annual Spring Game is set for Feb. 28 at 7:00 p.m. MST at Sun Devil Stadium.     

Reach the reporter at kmgianco@asu.edu and follow @Kaleb_Mart on Twitter.

×