State dignitaries congratulated ASU alumnus Gary K. Ong on Thursday for his appointment to the Commission on Asian American and Pacific Islanders.

Ong was appointed by President George W. Bush on Tuesday. As a part of the 14-member commission, Ong will help advise the president on issues involving the Asian community, specifically economic needs and cultural differences.

Secretary of State Betsey Bayless, House Speaker Jim Weiers and former state legislator Barry Wong were on hand to congratulate Ong at a press conference at China Doll Restaurant in Phoenix.

“The president was looking for a person to help bridge the gap between our community to the White House and the administration,” Ong said. “I think I can advise the president in a number of ways.”

Ong, a Phoenix businessman and a Republican, has been involved in politics for years and has served on numerous business and community associations, including the Governor’s Advisory Council. He was a delegate to the Republican National Convention in 1992.

Ong hopes his appointment to the commission will help bring the entrepreneurial spirit of the Asian community to national recognition.

“Many Asian Americans are small businesses operators,” Ong said. “The biggest problem they have is getting funding. My aim is toward elevating Arizona’s presence and commitment to building a long-term business and political relationship.”

Ong served on the ASU Advisory Council on Minorities and the University for the Next Century committee in 1999.

“Gary has done a wonderful job of articulating the needs of the Asian and Asian American community,” ASU President Lattie Coor said. “It’s a voice with force, but also a voice with balance that understands the larger environment.”

Reach Victor Allen at victordallen@cs.com.

×