Freshman dies in hit and run

An ASU freshman was killed in a hit-and-run accident Saturday morning at the intersection of Apache Boulevard and McAllister Avenue.

Jessica Woodin, 18, and sophomore Nicholas Pitts, 19, were crossing against a red light to the north side of Apache Boulevard at about 2 a.m. when Woodin was struck, Tempe police Sgt. Randy Fougner said. Fougner said Pitts had made it safely to the other side. When Woodin was attempting to cross, a black 2001 Ford Mustang Bullit GT traveling westbound struck her, throwing her approximately 250 feet.

"The impact caused severe damage to her, and she was pronounced dead at the scene of the accident," Fougner said.

Fougner said the Mustang was traveling at least 55 mph. The Mustang was found abandoned at 10th Street east of Mitchell Drive four hours after the accident.

As of Sunday, Tempe police have not been able to contact the owner. Fougner said the car had not been reported stolen, and there was no alcohol found in the vehicle.

ASU spokesman Keith Jennings sympathized for the family. "It was an unfortunate accident and hopefully they will find the driver," Jennings said. "We feel very bad for them (the family) and anything the University can do to help the family we will try to do."

Woodin had moved from Red Bend, N.J., into the Sahuaro residence hall on Friday.

Reach Kristin Koch at kristinrose79@asu.edu.

×