Gene Ganssle, the candidate who lost to Tempe mayor Neil Giuliano in September’s mayoral recall election, has announced that he will run for one of the three City Council seats up for election in the March primary.

Three of the six incumbent city council members’ terms are ending in July; Tempe has no limit on the number of terms a council member can serve. Three candidates have filed the necessary paperwork with the city.

Vice Mayor Ben Arredondo and Councilman Len Copple have filed for petitions to run again. Councilman Hugh Hallman has not announced his intentions. A Tempe businessman, Brett Scott, has also filed with the city.

Ganssle, a professional actor, director and musician, unsuccessfully ran against Mayor Neil Giuliano in a recall election last month. He is now setting his sights on the City Council, a job that requires less background experience.

“There’s where I can serve and no one can say I’m not qualified. It’s an opportunity to make a difference,” Ganssle said.

Giuliano said Tempe voters have already voiced their opinion on Ganssle.

“Mr. Ganssle was soundly rejected by voters in the last election. I’m not sure he will have much more to offer voters by March, than what he had last September,” Giuliano said.

Ganssle will have to work harder to get on the ballot this time. Voter turnout for the Sept. 11 recall election was extremely high. The new minimum signature requirement is 1,198 registered voters, 5 percent of the last election turnout. Previously, only 796 signatures were needed.

“The minimum requirements seem to be appropriate,” Ganssle said. “I think it will help ensure that those candidates have talked to enough people to ensure that they are in a position to represent them.”

Reach Victor Allen at victordallen@cs.com.

×