ASU student charged in Ecstasy ring

An ASU student was arrested and charged Tuesday in connection with an Ecstasy ring, the same ring that an ASU professor was believed to be involved in.

Plant biology junior Clayton Arom Prepski was indicted by the Department of Public Safety in Tempe. He was charged with manufacturing dangerous drugs and the possession of equipment and chemicals for manufacturing dangerous drugs. The drug in this case was Ecstasy.

Prepski's bond was posted at $26,550, and he was booked into Maricopa County jail.

DPS spokesman Frank Valenzuela said that the indictment was the result of a grand jury.

"Our detectives brought evidence in front of a grand jury of citizens to see if there was enough to arrest him," he said. "The jury decided that there was a case to arrest him so we got the warrant."

In October, plant biology professor Ralph Backhaus was arrested and placed on a leave of absence from ASU after DPS discovered a piece of paper with a recipe for Ecstasy in his office. Backhaus was released, and his charges are pending until the investigation is complete.

DPS does not want to jeopardize the investigation by releasing too much information, but the investigation should be completed soon, Valenzuela said.

"It looks like this case should be wrapped up in about three to four weeks," he said.

Reach Sandy Almendarez at salmend@imap2.asu.edu.

×