A former ASU student who was charged with lying about two assaults on campus in September pleaded innocent at his arraignment Tuesday.

Ahmad Saad Nasim reported to Tempe East Municipal Court after being charged early last month with two counts of false reporting by the Maricopa County Attorney's Office.

Nasim reportedly lied about two assaults while he was a student, one in Lot 59 and one in a Hayden Library bathroom. He claimed two men threw eggs at him and pushed him to the ground in Lot 59. Nasim was found in the Hayden Library bathroom with a plastic bag tied around his head a few weeks later and claimed to have been assaulted.

The assaults were reported shortly after the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks. Police believe both stories were fabricated.

Nasim's lawyer filed a notice of appearance Tuesday where Nasim was advised of his rights, according to chief clerk Sharon Hummel.

A pre-trial conference has been set for Nov. 27. The conference will decide if an agreement will be made or if the case will go to trial, Hummel said.

Reach Kristin Koch at kristinrose79@asu.edu.

×