Hillel gives away 300 sandwiches to less fortunate

112b01ik
Business freshman Michael Arial (foreground) and broadcasting freshman Ari Louis, who are members of the Jewish group Hillel. craft peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, which will be sent to a shelter to feed the homeless.

ASU's Hillel Jewish Student Center donated more than 300 sandwiches to a Christian homeless shelter Thursday after spending the day on Cady Mall recruiting students to make them.

The finished sandwiches were given to the Chandler Christian Community Center Thursday to feed the homeless at 1 p.m. today. The sandwiches are expected to be gone in an hour and a half, the center's executive director Elaine Leanos said. The center helps a clientele ranging in age from infancy to 95 years.

Hillel's program coordinator Michelle Frankford said they chose sandwiches to feed the homeless without spending too much money.

"This is an opportunity to use our hands rather than our money to help a good cause," she said.

Garrett Neese, a journalism junior, said he stopped to make food because it is close to Thanksgiving and many charities are hurting right now.

"I bet their funds have gone down because of Sept. 11, and I bet a lot of people aren't focusing on local problems like they should be," he said. "It's not a five course meal, but it's something."

Leanos said that donations are down at the center and numbers of needy clients are up.

"We have received a bunch of new clients who have recently lost their jobs because of the backlash of Sept. 11," she said. Also monetary donations are down and we don't have turkeys for Thanksgiving yet, but I hope we will."

Ari Louis, a Hillel leadership committee member and broadcasting freshman, said he helped because helping the needy is a part of his religion.

"Everyone should do good deeds, but the Torah says we should do mitzabhs, or good deeds, to help the less fortunate," he said.

Neese said homelessness is not an issue confined to one group.

"I think it's cool that a Jewish center is giving to a Christian center because I don't see why there should be any rivalry between religions," he said. "Homelessness isn't restricted to religion and help shouldn't be either."

Leanos said they welcome help from anyone and in return will help anyone.

"We won't say no to food and whatever a person's religion Reach Sandy Almendarez at salmend@imap2.asu.edu.

×