University groups suffer lower funds since attacks

ASU and local organizations that accept donations said their funds have been negatively impacted by the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks.

Operation K.I.D., founded by ASU students, held a fund-raiser in October that raised $2,000, missing their goal by $3,000. Operation K.I.D. — Keeping Ill children Dreaming — pairs students with terminally diseased children to inspire friendship.

Jason Pera, director of public relations for Operation K.I.D. and finance junior, said publicity was the major problem.

"Last year when we met our goal, we relied heavily on media coverage," he said. "This year, the news stations that covered our fund-raiser couldn't put the story on the air because they were covering stories about anthrax and the Middle East."

Carolyn Beal, the education awareness coordinator for Habitat for Humanity at ASU, said a lot of organizations were hurt by Sept. 11, but will continue to grow.

"I think in general there has been a downward trend in donating to community organizations," she said. "There is also a shift in the way people are giving. For example, people are giving to youth organizations because of the trauma that they felt."

Beal said that Habitat for Humanity "will face a negative impact, we will bounce back."

The All Saints Catholic Newman Center does not accept donations directly but has seen a "slight dip" in collections during mass, said adviser Michael Politano.

"It may be that people have less money or they are giving to other organizations like the Red Cross, but overall the loss hasn't been that significant," he said.

Pera said that those who are donating to the Sept. 11 funds should remember the local ones.

"It is great that everyone is donating because it is for a really good cause, but we shouldn't forget about the organizations that were here before that because they need help too," he said.

The Foundation for Blind Children in southern Tempe said the donations from corporations are in jeopardy.

"Next year is our 50th anniversary and all the donators we were hoping for might not be there," said Kim Parrott, director of development for the foundation.

Reach Sandy Almendarez at salmend@imap2.asu.edu.

×