ASASU candidates to debate on TV

Watch the first ever televised ASASU presidential debate, sponsored by the Web Devil and Sun Devil Television, on Channel 2. To see a photo slideshow of the debate, click here.

The two remaining candidates for the ASASU presidency will debate on campus television Friday evening in a landmark event for ASU.

Meghan Cox and Mike Leingang will discuss key issues facing the student body in the first-ever televised student government on campus. They are two remaining candidates in the presidential race, which will be decided next week.

The debate, sponsored by the Web Devil and Channel 2, will be taped Friday evening at the KAET studios at Stauffer Hall. It will be aired continuously on Channel 2 through the weekend and during the run-off election Monday and Tuesday.

"We are making every effort to make sure the students on this campus know what the issues are and where the candidates stand on those issues," said Web Devil editor Seth Scott. "This is just the beginning of what Student Media has in store for ASU students."

Web Devil reporter Michael Ferraresi will moderate the debate.

During last month's general elections, neither candidate earned the majority of votes necessary to secure the presidency. About 2,600 total votes were cast for presidential candidates.

Cox has served in various positions in ASASU over the past few years. She's worked in the office of the president and executive vice president and has served as director of the college councils.

Leingang is currently an ASASU senator representing the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences. One of his major political coups was co-founding the controversial Bill 57, which voters supported in the general elections; effectively eliminating the current ASASU constitution. A new constitution has yet to be established.

×