2 ASASU election results invalid

The appointment of two student government senators was unanimously deemed null and void Monday by a student supreme court.

During the Associated Students of ASU runoff election in early April, Colin Peterson and Bradley Cederburg were voted to be two of the four student senators for the W.P. Carey School of Business.

Both Peterson, who received 27 votes, and Cederburg, who received 30 votes, were elected as unofficial write-in candidates. However, the five-member court found that their elections were invalid because they failed to fill out the necessary paperwork.

Cederburg said he was upset with the decision but that it was good to draw attention to ASASU's election discrepancies.

The results were thrown out because the two candidates did not file a write-in candidacy form. Filing the form is required, according to ASASU election guidelines.

ASASU college councils can decide to appoint candidates to vacant senate positions or hold special elections in the fall.

Should the elections have been determined to be invalid? Post your opinion in the forum below.

Reach the reporter at meagan.pollnow@asu.edu.

×