Health risks in a can: soft drinks not so sweet

9kt3ia64
Ishtiaque
Masud

I have a confession to make: I've toxified my body with a mystery drink that contains the equivalent of anti-freeze coolant, oil solvent and commercial cleaning agents - and chances are, so have you. Here are some hard truths about the soft drink industry.

Soft drinks trace their history to the discovery of mineral water in natural springs, when scientists discovered carbon dioxide created the bubbles in the spring water. The first glass of artificially carbonated water was concocted in 1797, but carbonated beverages did not gain mass popularity in America until the 1830s. Dr. Pepper, Pepsi-Cola, Coca-Cola and 7 Up were created in the late nineteenth century, when soda became intertwined with American "pop" culture.

Today, the average American consumes more than 53 gallons of soft drinks a year. And in 2000, Americans spent a total of $60 billion on carbonated soft drinks.

Yet, the soft drink companies continue to invest billions in advertising. Kobe Bryant tells you to "obey your thirst," Britney and Beyoncé sing about the "joy of Pepsi" and Missy Elliot reminds us it's "always Coca-Cola."

According to the official Web site of the National Soft Drink Association, "soft drinks continue to be America's beverage of choice." And the driving slogan for the association (exclamation point included) is, "Soft drinks are a good part of America!" But they're not as good as they would like you to think.

A typical 12 oz. soda contains almost zero nutritional value. In reality, sodas actually cause a number of health problems. One serving of soda contains as much as 40 grams of sugar. (That's like eating 10 teaspoons of sugar at once!)

High amounts of sugar can promote tooth decay, diabetes, high blood pressure, stroke and heart disease. Diet sodas are even worse, for they contain artificial sweeteners.

And caffeine is a hugely addictive chemical. Recent studies funded by the National Institute of Drug Abuse have found that caffeine in soda plays largely the same role that nicotine does in tobacco.

A final thing to consider is that dark colas contain phosphoric acid, a highly corrosive chemical also used to rustproof metal. Phosphoric acid chemically dissolves the calcium in your bones, which can lead to osteoporosis.

And these are only the most widely studied problems associated with soft drinks. Other researchers have linked soda consumption to a number of other health problems, including cancer, kidney stones and cirrhosis of the liver.

This issue is especially relevant to students, as our age bracket is by far the highest consumer of soda products. According to the U.S. Drug Administration, teenagers 25 years ago drank almost twice as much milk as soda pop; today, they drink twice as much soda as milk.

The big concern is that soda has replaced other healthier alternatives in our diets.

Dr. Michael Jacobsen of the Center for Science in the Public Interest put it best in his landmark 1998 study Liquid Candy: How Soft Drinks are Harming Americans' Health: "Because of powerful advertising, universal availability, and low price ... Americans have come to consider soft drinks a routine snack and a standard, appropriate part of meals instead of an occasional treat, as they were treated several decades ago."

We should all think twice next time we reflexively go to the soda fountain as a part of our lunch combo meals. Companies like Coca-Cola and Pepsi-Cola have become American icons, but they've become so familiar, we often overlook the harms they cause. Pregnant women are already warned by their doctors not to consume soda. Shouldn't that be warning enough?

Change is needed, but the decision to lead a healthy lifestyle is one to which we must all individually commit.

Ishtiaque Masud is an economics junior. You can reach him at ishtiaque.masud@asu.edu.

×