Local police have outside-the-force help

vlj82295
Tony Momon, police aide in training, watches ASU DPS officer Louis Scichilone, right, question a man on Monday about information provided by ASU police aides on the north side of the Memorial Union.

Beyond police officers and support staff, ASU and Tempe police depend on student volunteers and police aides to augment their presence in the community.

ASU police accept volunteers throughout the year and currently have a student volunteer working in the records department, Lt. John Sutton said.

The department also is considering appointing a student volunteer to monitor parking lot cameras in the dispatch center, Sutton added.

Four of the eight police aides currently employed by the ASU police department are students. The aides monitor building security on campus and alert officers to any criminal activity, Sutton said.

"The aides are not commissioned police officers, but [they] play a huge role in support for the officers who patrol campus," Sutton said.

Police aides are paid employees who attend several weeks of training sessions and shadow a senior police aide prior to starting solo patrols.

Many of the students who apply for police aide positions are interested in law enforcement careers, Sutton said.

Laurie Scott graduated from ASU with a degree in criminal justice in May 2002 and has worked as a police aide since August.

"I wanted to become a police aide as an early step in becoming a police officer," Scott said.

She patrols areas of campus by foot or bicycle, looking for suspicious activity or persons.

"Aides don't apprehend or arrest anyone," Scott said. "We notify officers of any unusual occurrences, then they respond to the scene."

Scott attended three weeks of training at the ASU Main, then spent several days at the east and west campuses.

"I haven't regretted my decision to become a police aide," Scott said. "It's confirmed my desire to become a police officer and has prepared me for the physical and mental tests required to be a police officer."

Like ASU police, Tempe officers rely heavily on outside-the-force support.

"We have approximately 130 volunteers who currently work for the department," said Officer Jeff Lane. "Our volunteers save the department nearly $100,000 each year."

Judy Bottorf, volunteer coordinator for the police department, said 17 ASU students currently assist Tempe police.

"Students volunteer everywhere for us," Bottorf said.

Volunteers are required to submit a written application and pass background, reference and polygraph tests, Bottorf added.

As the weather cools and winter approaches, local parks become hot spots for students and Tempe residents looking for outdoor recreation and occasional picnics.

With increased traffic in city parks, however, Tempe police require additional assistance in preventing crime and is seeking volunteers for their Park Ranger Reserves Program.

Volunteers in the program, which is funded through federal crime prevention grants, patrol Tempe parks 10 hours per month and notify police officers or full-time park rangers of criminal activity, Bottorf said.

"Park Ranger Reserves will provide a visible, uniformed deterrent to criminal or nuisance behaviors and will provide assistance to park visitors, as appropriate," Police Chief Ralph Tranter said.

Volunteers will receive 40 hours of training and must complete a background packet, oral interview and polygraph test.

Reach the reporter at kelly.vaughn@asu.edu.

×