Ray Krone, the 100th American death row inmate to be exonerated, told ASU law students Thursday to take their future professions seriously, noting that lives are in their hands.

"Innocent or guilty isn't what it's about," said Krone, a former believer in the death penalty. "It's about who is representing you."

Krone was sentenced to death for the 1991 slaying of Phoenix bartender Kim Ancona.

"I was a blind believer in the death penalty, gave it no thought," he said. "Then I went to bed, woke up and was accused of murder."

"I learned that old theory of 'innocent until proven guilty' is a fallacy," Krone added.

Ancona was found stabbed to death in the bathroom of the CBS Lounge, a bar that Krone frequented.

According to expert testimony, bite marks left on Ancona's breast and throat matched Krone's distinctive bite pattern.

After spending four years on death row, Krone was granted a new trial in 1996.

But, he was convicted again due to inconclusive DNA evidence.

While the second trial's jury wished to maintain Krone's sentence of death, testimonies from additional forensic dentists left Maricopa County Superior Court Judge James McDougall with enough doubt to rule against capital punishment.

Krone soon found himself back behind bars, sentenced to life in prison: 25 years for murder and 21 years for kidnapping.

In 2002, advances in DNA forensics not only proved Krone to be innocent, but also identified Kenneth Phillips, an imprisoned sex offender, to be responsible for the murder.

Krone became the second Arizona death row inmate to be exonerated by DNA evidence.

To some of the 60 faculty, students and anti-death penalty groups at Great Hall Thursday, Krone's story served to solidify their beliefs concerning capital punishment.

"Ray's case is a perfect example of how innocent people can be wrongfully convicted and sentenced to die," said Kyrsten Sinema of the Arizona Death Penalty Forum. "Since the death penalty was reinstated in 1986, over 800 have been sentenced to death.

"Out of those 800, 112 have been exonerated," she added. "If one out of eight are later found not guilty, they're clearly getting something wrong."

Jennifer Oskolaee, a social work senior, said she had no firm beliefs pertaining to executing violent criminals, but believed in its use for "extreme cases like multiple murders and when it involves children.

"It all depends on the severity of the murder," she said.

Reach the reporter at christian.palmer@asu.edu.

×