The first fraternity at ASU East is forming with hopes of being a full chapter of an international fraternity by 2005.

Brian Hogue, an agribusiness sophomore, was state Future Farmers of America president for 2002-2003. He, along with the three other founding members, is interviewing potential east campus candidates for the Farm House Fraternity.

The four students are "handpicking" the core members of the fraternity.

"We want to be very selective in our core group -- they have to be an excellent representation of the entire group," Hogue said.

In the fall, the group is hoping to rush 15 to 20 other east campus students. Any male ASU East student can apply then.

"We will not be on main because you have to be an East student to appreciate it [Farm House]," Hogue said. "The master plan is that we become a charter by the year 2005."

Hogue said the fraternity would have social events and do community service projects.

Associate Dean of the Morrison School of Agribusiness George Seperich is providing resources and assistance to the students. He said the fraternity originated in Missouri about a century ago.

"It is now an international organization that has weathered the test of time and established its own characteristics," Seperich added. "The Farm House Fraternity is attractive to us because it's a reminder of the way things were -- when a handshake meant something."

The group's focus will be on good grades, building moral character, making friends and maintaining professionalism. It is a non-denominational organization.

Hogue said the fraternity wants "to build men intellectually, physically, socially, morally and spiritually."

Even though the Farm House Fraternity is "rooted" in agriculture, it is open to students of all professions.

Tyler Grandil, state Future Farmers of America secretary, has been Hogue's FFA adviser for the past few years.

"The future of agriculture is about people like Brian," Grandil said. "They are a positive influence and inspire others."

Reach the reporter at erika.camardella@asu.edu.

×