ASU East: Learning Comm. opens new space

b93cqiez
Barry M. Maid, Ph.D (left) professor and head faculty of technical communication, grabs some snacks along with Kelee Pacion a junior majoring in biosciences at the open house for the new Learning Communities Writing Center located in the Center Building

The Learning Communities opened a large new study and workspace downstairs in the Center Building at ASU East.

What was once the Oasis and Provost Office is now dedicated entirely to giving students a place to study, work in groups and have wireless access. Programs like Living Communities, University Success, Honors College, Study Abroad and Faculty Fellows will also be housed in this new space.

Vanessa Harrington, director of Learning Communities, said, "From the get-go I was in meetings about colors, fabrics and details for the furnishings."

A committee of about six, including members from the library, a project manager and others were responsible for making all the decisions for the new space.

There are five octagonal tables that will have two computers each, nine separate study rooms for group work and at least 15 separate tables for individual or joint study.

Lisa Cahill and Vernon Dixon, advanced Ph.D. candidates in English and writing tutors in the center, said the space is a lot quieter and bigger than the old center which was located upstairs. They can now talk to students and not worry about making too much noise.

"We'd like to host events that could build community and advertise what we offer," Cahill said.

Dixon added, "The problem is getting students to know where we're at. Now we have to focus on promotion."

Currently the Learning Communities is accepting art portraying interpretations of the writing cycle. It will use the artwork to decorate a portion of the center.

For more information on what Learning Communities is, services provided and contact information please see the web site.

Reach the reporter at erika.camardella@asu.edu.

×