R & B legend R. Kelly, accused of 21 counts of child pornography, has been nominated for an award. It's not from Pete Townsend, the Catholic Church or Michael Jackson. It's from the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People.

It's the Image Award, an honor bestowed on "those who strive for the portrayal of positive images and meaningful opportunities for African-Americans in motion pictures, television, literature and recording." For some reason, after being accused of 33 counts of child pornography (21 in Illinois, 12 in Florida), the NAACP feels that R. Kelly is worthy of such praise.

Ignoring the obvious conflict between child porn and positive images is Kwasi Mfume, the current president and CEO of the NAACP. He was quick to clarify, however, that R. Kelly isn't being nominated; it's his most recent album, "Chocolate Factory," that's the real accomplishment. That's a relief. I was getting worried there for a minute. Then I hear "Ignition," R. Kelly's hit single, and realize that something is definitely wrong with the NAACP.

With poignant lyrics such as "put my key in your ignition, hot and fresh out the kitchen," and "sippin' on Coke and rum, I'm like, so what I'm drunk," it's easy to overlook the fact that R. Kelly videotaped himself having sex and using the bathroom on a minor. It brings to mind Rob Reiner's classic documentary "This is Spinal Tap," the fictitious hair-metal group whose music, according to one critic, "was treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry."

While some would suggest R. Kelly's music is full of shockingly stupid innuendo and getting drunk doesn't represent the NAACP's goals, Mfume defends it as "soulful" and points out that just because the suspected pedophile pop star has been nominated, doesn't mean he'll win.

I would like to pretend that being nominated for an award after creating such simple garbage is as unsettling as the gift's source. I cannot. The NAACP most people are familiar with has a proud history. It was a multiethnic organization formed after Springfield, Ill., erupted into a race riot in 1910.

For 90 years, it evolved as a determined machine intent on attacking racism and segregation in its strongholds such as Alabama and Mississippi. The racism was violent and institutional. Blacks were forbidden from restaurants and forced to use designated drinking fountains, bathrooms and seats on the bus. The NAACP marched bravely while enduring beatings, dog attacks and high-pressure fire hoses. At times, its members were even murdered. Still, they fought through humiliation and intimidation, and they prevailed.

Today they seem a little different. The awards stress involvement in "motion pictures, television, literature, and recording." In other words, entertainment. Curiously absent from the Image Awards is any mention of service in government, business, education, science or social work. It's a far cry from the days of Martin Luther King, Jr., urging his followers to "burn the midnight hours" studying and reading.

Other black groups and civil-rights leaders (who are definitely more deserving of recognition than R. Kelly) are rightfully appalled by the NAACP's decision to possibly award Kelly. Together, with direct threat to boycott the ceremony and organization, a written statement by Minister Bamani Obadele of Chicago conveyed his anger blatantly: "The purpose of the NAACP Image Awards is to honor African-Americans who have a positive image.

R. Kelly was videotaped having sex with a 13-year-old girl and then urinating on her face. Our coalition believes that R. Kelly does not have the positive message that the Image Award founders intended their nominees to have."

The irrefutable fact is that the NAACP has done a great disservice to blacks and minorities in general. By honoring somebody who is possibly facing 15 years in prison for sex crimes with children, it has discredited itself and publicly embarrassed those it swears to defend and uplift. The reaction, if not anger, should be sadness.

Christian Palmer is a journalism senior. Reach him at christian.palmer@asu.edu.

×