Youthful grappler Staylor has made impact

3037puq0
Freshman Christian Staylor, top, wrestles freshman Matt Lantz during practice Feb. 23 in the Wells Fargo Arena. Staylor will compete at the Pac-10 Championships at Wells Fargo Arena this weekend.

Christian Staylor doesn't come across as an intimidating figure.

The soft-spoken redshirt freshman wrestler, who speaks with a tint of a Virginia drawl, stands only 5-foot-7, and weighs in at no more than 130 pounds, soaking wet. He may remind someone of his or her younger brother before being labeled a force to be reckoned with.

But as the old cliche goes, never judge a book by its cover.

"Wrestling is like a fight," Staylor said. "Whoever wants it more is going to do well. I usually want it more."

Records prove difficult to challenge Staylor's contention. A three-time Virginia State Champion in high school, the young Sun Devil has racked up an impressive 23-9 mark and is ranked as high as 10th in national polls in his first year competing at the collegiate level. His instant success comes as no surprise to his coach.

"He was highly recruited nationwide," ASU wrestling Coach Thom Ortiz said. "We expected him to step up, even as a freshman."

This weekend, Staylor takes his credentials to Wells Fargo Arena as ASU hosts the Pac-10 Championships. Such a stage may prove to be too much to handle for many novices. But for him, it's just another weekend.

"The Pac-10's are just like anything else," Staylor said. "There's going to be pressure involved just like all the others."

The crowds at Wells Fargo Arena will certainly be the largest Staylor has seen this year, and the level of competition will be heightened. That said, perhaps his naivete will prove to come in handy.

"You just can't think about stuff like that," Staylor said. "If you do, then you're thinking too much. I thought [big tournaments] would be a lot different than others. But they're the same because you have to realize you're just as good (as the opponent)."

Throughout the season, Staylor has been just as good -- but more accurately, better -- than any given opponent. This is something Ortiz applauds him for but understands that there is still work to be done.

"He's doing a good job," Ortiz said. "But he's got two guys ranked in the top 10 here this weekend. He'll have to get past them to take Pac-10's. So, he'll have to step up."

While two of his teammates, seniors Nick Frost and Ron Renzi, can see the light approaching as the death of their collegiate wrestling careers nears, Staylor's time on the mat is far from over. No matter what happens at Wells Fargo Arena this weekend, he will return to the team next season as only a sophomore. Time, however, is something he takes little solace in.

"I might think about it at the end (of the season), but I don't want to think about it right now," Staylor said. "I just want to go out, and take care of what I have to do."

Reach the reporter at vic.vela@asu.edu.

×