Students and faculty at ASU East don't have the same resources and infrastructure as those at main campus.

But they said they accept the trade-offs of attending a younger campus and hope that changes will support the growth expected at the east campus.

Playing catch-up

Ernest Hirata, a professor in the information and management technology program and president of the East Academic Assembly, said that ASU East has been dealing with infrastructure problems from the start. Because the campus took over a military base many buildings have had to be gutted or rebuilt, he said.

"Unlike the west campus which is entirely new, east campus has had to make a University out of an air force base and the infrastructure that already existed," he said.

And even more than the main campus, ASU East had had an inadequate budget to face the many growth and construction issues.

"We haven't had a budget that covers our needs in anticipation of the growth," he added. "We're playing catch-up in terms of how fast we're growing, but on a positive note, the Student Union will be the first new building at East."

Construction began on the Student Union in September, and it should be completed by August.

Jim Sliwicki, director of budget planning and management at ASU Main, said, "The budget is not keeping up with growth at any campus, but East is struggling with the level of resources and is particularly hurt because it is so new and the growth is so rapid."

Mernoy Harrison, executive vice president of administration and finance at the main campus, said the east campus receives a separate appropriation from the Legislature than ASU Main.

Harrison said the funding for ASU East "is significantly less than what it could be based on the size of the campus."

Harrison added that the main campus has helped fund the growth of the east campus recently.

"ASU East is a separate budget entity, but Main campus allocates additional funds based on a review process," he said, adding that a recent allocation was $1.4 million to fund the campus' support services.

However, Hirata said that budget shortfalls still hurt student services. He added that the east campus doesn't have enough teaching and research assistants.

Optimism despite low funds

Despite budget shortfalls, faculty and students are hopeful that the situation will improve.

Barry Maid, department head for the ASU East multimedia writing and technical communications program, said that he has had to build his program without new faculty.

"In four years I have not been able to hire new teachers, but things look like they're getting better," he said. "The next budget year will be better. I am in the process of putting some jobs together and that's a good sign."

Kent Markwart, office specialist senior and student at ASU East, said if the Legislature grants ASU's funding request, it would help the campus. Gov. Janet Napolitano has requested that ASU receive $23.4 million.

"From a personal perspective I do think there is a budget shortfall, but it looks promising. I am optimistic," Markwart said.

Alex Johnson, a senior in business administration transferred to East from main campus and said he thought he got a better deal.

"I don't feel like I am missing anything at East," he said. "I can focus on the academic side, not the social side. The quality of the education is better here."

Fnu Selamat, a computer engineering technology junior, also changed campuses to ASU East, and said that faculty-student interaction was better at East.

"[It's] much better here because it looks like the teacher and student are closer," Selamat said. "But I do not have a special academic adviser like I did at Main. Here my adviser is my instructor.

Troy Adams, professor in the department of exercise and wellness, said that the east campus is "only in its infancy."

"Within a short time, I think our physical facilities ... will be very competitive because it will all be new."

Self-sufficient future

Jeff Holeman, an ASU East spokesman, said ASU President Michael Crow wants to give the east campus more resources, but he eventually wants it to become self-sufficient.

Holeman said Crow is allotting research dollars that were awarded to the Arizona universities (from a research infrastructure bill) to provide for the construction of research facilities at the east campus. A new research building is being developed and construction will begin in the summer, he added.

With research infrastructure in place, ASU East can then work towards acquiring grants and funding for its programs.

The campus may also gain funding when the University is reorganized.

Sliwicki said that as the ASU campuses are further defining their identities through the University Design Teams, programs could be moved. And if any programs come out to ASU East they will bring their budget with them.

Another goal is to bring all ASU campuses under one budget. Then funds can be allocated to specific programs rather than to the campuses.

Harrison said, "I hope that the University will be under one budget by fiscal year 2005, but it will require changes in the statute."

The combining of the budgets is just one sign of a more integrated future. Officials, faculty and students expressed a hopeful look to that future where ASU East is an integral and inseparable part of a greater university.

Reach the reporter at erika.camardella@asu.edu.

×