Two juniors and two freshmen will serve as the executive officers of the first ASU East Student Government, an elections committee announced Thursday.

Jon Russell, a junior in exercise and wellness, will be the first student president, and Don Ausink, a business administration junior, was elected vice president.

Jake Troutman will serve as treasurer and Shawn Jacula was elected secretary. Both are freshman in the aeronautical management technology program.

ASU East students voted for the first government officials on Tuesday and Wednesday.

Three senators were elected for the three east campus colleges.

For the Morrison School of Agribusiness, Brian Harvey Hogue, Erin Lesley Meehan and Tyler Graham were elected to senate seats.

Daniel Hensheid, Joshua A. Noble and Andrew Hodgson were elected senators for the East College.

Leslie Colvin, Pradeep (Pop) Mohanannair and Corey Morrison will fill senate seats for the College of Technology and Applied Sciences.

Out of 3,691 eligible student voters, 468 students voted. That's a turnout of nearly 13 percent, similar to the recent referendum vote held at ASU Main.

Mike Mader, director of student activities, said the voter turnout was satisfactory.

"Having a lot of candidates gave credibility to the process," he added.

"I don't want people to forget what it took to get here," Mader said. "If it weren't for Jeremy Art (a junior in the professional golf program) we wouldn't have had an election right now."

Art and Missy Debnar, a graduate student in applied biology, were interim student government leaders and spent the last year creating ASU East's first constitution. Art ran for president and was defeated by Russell.

Russell said the first thing the government would be doing is deciding on the first meeting time - probably after spring break.

Of the elections, Russell said, "It was awesome ... the best part was that people got out to vote ... if we could just keep the ball rolling now."

Reach the reporter at erika.camardella@asu.edu.

×