More than 60 students asked candidates for ASU East's first student government some tough questions at a forum recently.

Students voted Tuesday and are voting today for those candidates they feel will best represent the east campus.

Fifteen of the 22 student government candidates sat before students on Wednesday to introduce themselves, highlight their goals and discuss ASU East's problems.

Students said they would like to see the campus' three colleges work together. They also said that with tuition going up, they want more say in where the money goes. Both candidates and students said the campus needs more social life and shuttle services should be improved.

Guy Le Masurier, a physical education graduate student, said to the 15 candidates, "You need to have a track record and a vision. What have you done?"

Jon Russell, an exercise and wellness sophomore and one of three candidates running for president, said, "My vision is that 99.9 percent of students don't just go to class. I'd like people to get more involved."

Russell said it was important to advertise opportunities for students to build a sense of excitement about the possibilities at ASU East.

Jeremy Art, presidential candidate and a professional golf management junior, headed the interim student government and drafted its constitution.

He said he'd like to get concerts and build a social environment.

"We can take it to a whole other level," Art said.

Luke Gehauf, a freshman flight student running for vice president, wants to take a closer look into the administration and its inner workings.

"I see the provosts in their nice suits, but I'd like to see what goes on in the Administration Building," Gehauf said.

Pradeep (Pop) Mohanannair a technology graduate student running for senator for the College of Technology and Applied Sciences, raised the issue of the inadequate inter-campus shuttle service.

"Transportation links the campuses," he said.

He added that international students are particularly affected and said he wants to see improved and more convenient shuttle services.

Leslie Colvin, a junior and candidate for senate seat in information technology, said it is good to look to ASU Main for mentorship, but she said ASU East could also stand on its own.

"We're not just a satellite university, but our own," she said. "We need to build unity within ourselves (at East). We can build our campus and set something new."

In closing, Russell said the most important thing is that students get out to vote and participate in the election.

"The more students vote, the better it is for everyone and the more clout this election will have because it will better reflect the student body at East," he said.

Mike Mader, director of student activities and Gary McGrath, dean of student affairs, both said they were very pleased with the attendance and the quality of the candidates.

Mader, who was concerned two weeks ago that there would be no competition, said, "Last week students stepped up and applied [for candidacy]. I am encouraged based on the comments and observation students made. All did an excellent job communicating their ideas."

Voting continues today in the Technology Building, Center Building, and the Simulator Building. Students can also vote online for candidates to fill the four executive and nine senate seats.

Visit www.east.asu.edu/ sga to vote or get information on the candidates' backgrounds and views.

Reach the reporter at erika.camardella@asu.edu.

×