Beware spring breakers: Mexican officials will be more aggressive in their pursuit of partiers.

For the first time, Mexican officials will automatically issue citations for alcohol and illegal substance violations in Rocky Point during spring break, Mexican authorities said Thursday.

The comments came as part of a meeting held at UA with ASU, UA and Mexican police officers, as well as members of the U.S. consulate.

The purpose of the meeting was to inform university police officers that Rocky Point would no longer tolerate alcohol and drug violations.

"They're not trying to just slam the students," said ASU Cpl. Albert Phillips, who attended the meeting. Phillips is the head of the Crime Prevention Unit for all of ASU's campuses.

"They just really want to cut down on a lot of the excessive drinking and partying in the streets," he said.

A brochure given to Phillips by the U.S. Consulate in Nogales states that more than 2,500 American citizens are arrested abroad each year. Young people who are unaware of the laws, customs and standards of the foreign country often are victimized.

"Excessive alcohol consumption and unruly or uncontrolled behavior can lead to serious problems with Mexican authorities," the brochure said. "Alcohol is involved in the vast majority of arrests, accidents, violent crimes and deaths suffered by American tourists."

The brochure lists rules to be obeyed at Rocky Point this spring break to make the visit safer and more enjoyable.

The rules include:

No driving any vehicles while under the influence.

No drinking in the streets.

No vehicles are permitted on the beaches.

No riding any all-terrain vehicles on any beach within city limits.

Only use fireworks in designated areas and only before 10 p.m.

Possession of drugs, guns and weapons are federal crimes and are highly penalized.

Obey all speed limits.

Pay all fines at the city hall and report any attempts of bribery to the police department.

Mexico always has had an alcohol and drug policy, though it has never fully been enforced.

In the past, when a spring breaker committed a violation, it was common for police officers to demand money on the spot without a written citation.

Liana Arenas, a broadcast journalism junior, witnessed bribery when Mexican police officers approached a group of ASU students who had been smoking marijuana last spring break.

She said the officers gave the group the ultimatum of either giving them money or going to jail.

Mexican officials are cautioning students not to give money to officers.

"Nobody should be paying a fine at the scene to anybody saying that they are a Mexican police officer," said Phillips. "Whatever that violation is, you should be escorted down to the courthouse and pay that fine to a judge."

The brochure also states that it is required by law to have Mexican automobile insurance because causing an auto accident in Mexico can be a felony.

If involved in an automobile accident, financial responsibility must be proved with immediate cash to cover all damages or an approved Mexican insurance policy.

Phillips said that officials from Mexico met with UA and ASU representatives at UA because they know in about 10 days there will be around 85,000 students down at Rocky Point.

A lot of them will be drinking, and now "they're going to be cited for that," Phillips said.

For more information, call ASU's Department of Public Safety at (480) 965-3456.

Reach the reporter at shaina.levee@asu.edu.

×