If you enjoy movies that aren't too thought provoking, then "Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story" is for you.

The movie follows the story of Peter La Fleur (Vince Vaughn), the inept owner of Average Joe's Gymnasium. When the gym goes under, La Fleur and his ragtag team of gym-goers must find a way to save it from the hands of the narcissistic White Goodman (Ben Stiller), owner of Globo Gym. With a little help from a pirate, a bi-sexual lawyer, a teenager and Lance Armstrong, La Fleur might just be able to make it.

Vaughn ("Clay Pigeons" and "Swingers") plays his usual self-egotistical and sharp-witted character, and he did a great job, as he had some of the best lines in the movie.

Stiller ("Meet The Parents" and "Zoolander") amalgamated every role he's ever had and blew his character completely out of proportion, almost like a cartoon villain. It was refreshing and amusing to see him in such a character role.

Christine Taylor (Stiller's real-life wife) plays the bi-sexual lawyer, and her acting was fabulous -- although I can't seem to shake the vision of her portrayal of Marcia Brady in "The Brady Bunch Movie."

The teenager, Justin Long ("Jeepers Creepers"), played his part like Chaplin. He took the brunt of the hits in the movie and acted amazingly well.

Throughout the movie, "Dodgeball" proves to be a man's sport, making football look like a wimp's game. "Ooh's" and "ouch's" boomed from the audience every time someone got hit -- actually, the word should be "brained."

I must give kudos to the director and writer, Rawson Marshall Thurber, a veteran commercial producer who is fresh on the scene as a movie director. Rarely have I seen a movie with humor as consistently biting as it was here. The movie was great in all technical areas, and anybody with even a passing interest in cinematography would be impressed.

"Dodgeball" is littered with many sexual references, as well as some completely raunchy scenes. Some lines, although extremely inventive and original, when put into context, made no sense at all. Oddly enough, though, the oddball humor and timing made the movie even more attractive.

When all is said and done, "Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story" is a very funny piece of cinema, and although I may have dropped a few IQ points from watching it, I did learn a valuable lesson about investments (see movie ending). All I can say is: Don't dodge this movie.

Reach the reporter at melissa.couch@asu.edu

×