Lewkowitz: "Kinky" makes a run for Texas

noahlewkowitz
Lewkowitz
COLUMNIST

Halloween has a history of producing disturbing, yet fascinating, creatures. It seems fitting that 61 years ago, on this eerie holiday, another perplexing phenomena was brought into this world--Richard F. "Kinky" Friedman.

Born October 31, 1944, to Jewish parents in Chicago, Friedman moved to Texas at a young age. He graduated from the University of Texas at Austin and spent two years with the Peace Corps. He became leader of a band called The Texas Jewboys. Since then, he has been a singer, novelist, columnist and even ran for justice of the peace in Kerrville, Texas, in the 1980s.

Now, this cowboy is setting his sights on something bigger -- becoming the next governor of Texas.

This unlikely gubernatorial candidate is turning heads, having already raised more money as an independent than the Democratic candidate, Chris Bell -- proving that he isn't just "big hat and no cattle" (meaning all talk and little action for those unfamiliar with Texas slang).

With recent problems surrounding powerful political Texans (former House Majority Leader Tom DeLay indicted for money laundering and current Texas Governor Rick Perry's mishandling of Hurricane Rita), an alternative politician is a welcome change for Texans.

Friedman's laid-back nature and witty, humorous talk has earned him 18 percent in the most recent opinion poll, as reported by The Wall Street Journal. The same satirical, yet provoking, manner with which he has begun his campaign can be found in many of his songs, such as "They Ain't Makin' Jews Like Jesus Anymore," "Ride 'Em Jewboy" and "Waitret, Please, Waitret (Come Sit on My Fate)."

First thing on Kinky's to-do list is education reform. On his Web site, he notes that Texas is No. 1 in the country for school drop-out rates and 48th in education spending. In order to generate more revenue for education, he is proposing video poker slot machines in bars ("slots for tots"), where the state takes a share of the profits. He is also opting for an education revolution starting with educators, called "No teacher left behind."

While education is Kinky's first priority, also on the list is energy reform. His Web site states, "For decades, Texas was No. 1 in U.S. oil and gas exploration. It once even led the world! Texas can reclaim its role as world leader in new energy production with alternative solutions."

His progressive energy reform will have him team up with fellow country singer Willie Nelson. According to Friedman's Web site, if he is elected, he will work directly with Nelson to promote and develop bio-diesel and other eco-friendly resources.

Other smaller issues Friedman addresses are the current Texas speed limit of 55 mph. He would like to change the limit to 54.99 (in the spirit of his Jewish heritage), outlaw the de-clawing of cats and be the first governor of Texas to put his phone number in the phone book.

While Friedman's politics are not mainstream, his candor is beginning to win over some Texans.

Being a cowboy, country singer, novelist and Jew, he is able to garner support from many different groups. He is even sympathetic to Christians, which can be seen in his song "Men's Room, LA." The song deals with one man's dilemma while sitting on a toilet, holding a picture of Jesus Christ, and realizing there is no toilet paper in the stall. The chorus calmly sings, "Take a chance, save your pants, or your soul."

With The New Yorker reporting that 30,000 volunteers have already signed up for Kinky's campaign, he is set for a rodeo romp with Texas politics. As a man born on Halloween, he too represents something completely creepy and strange, yet incredibly alluring.

Noah Lewkowitz is a architecture graduate student. You can reach him "eating his supper before he's said grace" at noah.lewkowitz@asu.edu.

×