Lewkowitz: Horse betting, not just a game of luck

The most illustrious day in horse racing finally arrived last Saturday -- the Breeders Cup.

This day of racing brings together the best horses from all over the world, offering eight different races worth $14 million combined. Handicappers have been analyzing results, past performances and speed figures for months, looking to prove their prowess at the betting booths. Yet it seems that, no matter how much one prepares, betting on horses is an incredibly difficult game.

Take, for example, the heavy favorite "Lost in the Fog." Coming into the Breeders Cup Sprint, a six-furlong race, he had never lost. Yet having attained the lead early in the stretch, his legs grew weary. Several other horses passed by him on their way to the finish line. As Lost in the Fog's winning streak fell, crumpled ticket stubs were tossed to the ground in pure frustration.

"Saint Liam" proved to be the bettors' choice before the Breeders Cup Classic -- a one-mile race worth $4 million -- -and the best horse after the race. Saint Liam displayed class and elegance as he pulled away from the field late in the stretch, giving veteran jockey Jerry Bailey another prestigious win to his collection.

In the Breeders Cup Distaff, the favorite, "Ashado," was embarrassed by the 30-1 longshot "Pleasant Home." Pleasant Home cleared the entire field of horses, and went on to win by the largest margin of the day. A $2 win ticket on this unlikely horse was worth $63.50.

So, how do you pick winning horses? Unfortunately, this is a difficult question. If it was easy, we would all bet on horses.

Handicapping is like anything else, the more time you put into it, the more you get out of it. The casual bettor picks horses based on color or name. Those more interested and willing to spend some time perusing horse racing's bible, The Daily Racing Form, know the game is about common sense and experience. They also know, over time, it is nearly impossible to win more than you bet. As any horseracing enthusiast knows, it is a cruel, cruel game.

Why bet then?

Many handicappers, like my father, enjoy the attempt to decipher a race using information provided in the Racing Form, along with general track knowledge, pedigree, trainers, breeders, even how they look prior to a race. Any one of these can provide the crucial evidence needed to pick a winner.

It is similar to crossword puzzles, a seemingly bland activity. There is a personal reward upon completion of a crossword. In handicapping, a similar principle applies, there just happens to be a monetary reward involved as well.

After asking my father one day why he gambles on horses, he said, "I don't necessarily like gambling. The excitement for me is figuring out the races, how they will be run and who will win. Gambling is just a way for me to keep track of how I'm doing."

Next year, the Breeders Cup will again showcase the best of the best, and an untold number of handicappers will be ready to collect their winnings.

For most, however, the only money they will see is what they hand over for that potential winning ticket. Either way, a ticket in hand, a lot of knowledge and a little luck is the only way to stand at the finish line. See you there.

Noah Lewkowitz is a graduate student in architecture. Send him your sure picks at noah.lewkowitz@asu.edu.

×