ASU's contract with Commons expiring

BY TATIANA HENSLEY

STATE PRESS

The Commons on Apache won't be part of ASU campus housing starting in fall 2006.

Residential Life spokeswoman Susan Mulligan said the Commons, which is owned and operated by American Campus Communities, was leased by ASU for the past two years as housing for upperclassmen.

This freed space in other residence halls for freshmen.

But with McAllister Academic Village opening this fall, Mulligan said an additional 897 spaces would be open to freshmen.

There will then be more space in ASU halls Cholla, Sahuaro and Ocotillo for upperclassmen.

Public relations senior R.J. Srinivasan has lived in the Commons for two years.

"The Commons is more relaxed," Srinivasan said. "The living space is different than a dorm. We have our own apartments. We get our own rooms, bathroom and showers."

Greg Dowell, chief of operations and executive vice president for American Campus Communities, said ACC would continue to market and lease the property as student housing targeting ASU students.

"We always welcome the opportunity to work with ASU and would master-lease to them whenever they desire," Dowell said. "However, we look forward to upgrading the property and offering it as a quality off-campus alternative."

ACC wants to turn the property into a "luxury alternative," Dowell said.

"Units will get new paint, new carpet and perhaps new cabinet doors and new appliances," Dowell said.

ACC plans to replace any old furniture and add to the amenities, including additions to the fitness center and a new recreation center and TV lounge.

"We anticipate a fully-furnished private bedroom accommodation in a two-bedroom, two-bath unit to lease for approximately $700 per bedroom," Dowell said.

The rate would include Internet service, cable TV and partial utilities, Dowell said.

"If we are not able to lease the entire community as private bedrooms, the remainder will be leased as double occupancy bedroom accommodations at approximately $399 to $425 per student," Dowell said.

"These would be the premier two-bedroom, two-bath private accommodations this close to ASU, " he said.

Reach the reporter at tatiana.hensley@asu.edu

×