Time to think of a new password

ASU has officially started its 180-day time limit on ASURITE passwords, a practice that has been set as a computer system standard on all ASU campuses.

Students, faculty and staff will have to change their ASURITE passwords more often for security reasons.

It is important to find a balance between security and convenience said Adrian Sannier, University technology officer.

"[The network security group] hit on the 180-day limit, this makes people aware of the idea that their password needs to change on a regular basis," Sannier said. "If your password were compromised, it would only be for a period of time before you were able to change it."

The changes will occur by groups so that not too many people will change at the same time and overload the system, said Ronald Page, director of Information Technology Services.

The first group is the people who have not changed their password in six years, decreasing gradually to users who have not changed their password in 180 days.

It will take four to six weeks to get the 120,000 ASURITE IDs changed, said Page.

"Once a person uses any Web applications such as myASU, they will be asked to change their password," Page said.

If anyone prefers to change their password now, it can be done at www.asu.edu/changepassword.

Jenna Capps, a public relations senior, has not changed her password in five years.

"I personally do not mind changing my password," Capps said. "I think it is good for security reasons, but it could also be a nuisance because on top of all you need to do you have to go in and change your password."

In choosing a password, users are encouraged to use combinations that are hard to be guessed.

Reach the reporter at tatiana.hensley@asu.edu.

×