Downtown intersection a lesson in navigation

p1_xwalk_web
Nursing junior Alexandra Labrecque crosses First Street at Polk Street in Phoenix Wednesday on her way to the University Center at the Downtown campus. There are no stop signs for traffic traveling along First Street at the intersection, leaving students to fend for themselves when crossing.

Crossing from residence hall to classroom at the Downtown campus has become somewhat of a car-dodging science.

There are crosswalks but no traffic lights or stop signs when walking between the Residence Commons and University Center classrooms and the Nursing Building.

Some drivers do not stop for the students and drive over the speed limit, some students said.

Ashley McKerlie, a nursing freshman, one of 175 students living in the Residential Commons downtown, has all of her classes at the University Center.

"We need a street light or something," McKerlie said. "I've had to stop because cars don't stop while I'm crossing."

A traffic light was on that corner, but it was taken out about seven or eight years ago, said Jim Sparks, Phoenix deputy street transportation director.

The light was originally at the corner of First and Polk streets because of traffic near the old Arizona Republic building, but when the Republic moved the light was taken out.

With the new Downtown campus opening, ASU police asked Phoenix police to help monitor traffic, including First and Polk streets, said Sgt. Scott Molnar, Phoenix police Downtown Operations Unit.

"Realizing the kids would be crossing, it would definitely be a busy corner," Molnar said.

Phoenix police monitor traffic almost every day, especially during rush hour and the peak hours when students have class, Molnar said.

"We are watching busy intersections to make sure it is safe for all ASU students and pedestrians," Molnar said.

There are two other corners near the Residential Commons that have crosswalks only when walking east and west.

Roberta Torres, a receptionist in the ASU College of Nursing, said students walk to the Nursing Building on the corner of Taylor and Second streets all the time.

She is concerned about students crossing the street and had a near miss herself while using the crosswalk.

"I almost got hurt," Torres said. "The car went right in front of me."

Torres noticed a difference in crossing the street with the police presence.

"It was better yesterday with having a cop out there," she said.

Prior to the Downtown campus opening, Phoenix officials assessed specific needs around the campus including pedestrian safety, said Leah Hardesty, ASU spokeswoman.

Changes such as additional street lighting were recommended, but additional traffic lights and stop signs were not, Sparks said.

Without knowing how the new campus would impact traffic, significant changes did not occur, he added.

"Adding stop signs could have created a safety issue," he said.

This month, the city of Phoenix, along with ASU, will re-evaluate Downtown campus traffic, including pedestrian safety, Hardesty said.

ASU police have not received a formal complaint yet, she said.

In the meantime, elementary education freshman Katie Wong is fine without traffic lights or stop signs.

"I'm from Boston," Wong said. "I'm used to dodging cars."

Reach the reporter at: jeffrey.michell@asu.edu.

×