LOS ANGELES - The Good: Unlike previous losses to Cal and Oregon, the ASU football team put up a solid fight against a quality opponent in USC. The atmosphere at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum is one of the most intimidating in college sports, but the Sun Devils weren't. And, unlike they've done in the past, ASU refused to lie down and play dead after digging themselves an early 21-0 deficit. Overall, losing by one touchdown to the No. 3 team in the nation while on the road is nothing to be ashamed of. The score wouldn't have been that close if the Sun Devil defense hadn't played its best game of 2006 thus far. The unit held USC to just 307 yards of total offense, forced three fumbles and scored a touchdown of its own.

The Bad: Even though the final score indicates ASU scored 21 points against the mighty Trojans, the Sun Devils offense continued to struggle as it could only muster 245 total yards and two touchdowns, one of which came after the defense recovered a fumble on the USC 30-yard line. In a game like this in recent years, the Sun Devils would have attempted upward of 40 passes, but coach Dirk Koetter admitted after the contest that it wasn't in the game plan to take shots downfield. As a result, sophomore quarterback Rudy Carpenter only attempted 21 passes, completing just 12 en route to 124 yards, the vast majority of which came on screens and dump-offs. The offense must return confidence back before it can return to lighting up the scoreboard.

The Ugly: With just 1:19 left in the game and ASU trailing by a touchdown, the coaching staff elected to punt rather than go for the first down on fourth and 22. The choice was uglier than the smog, the ghetto surrounding the Coliseum and the eclectics on Santa Monica Boulevard combined. Since ASU only had two timeouts, USC didn't even have to get a first down to run the clock out, much less be forced to punt, much less leave ASU's offense time to get back on the field. So ASU coaches thought there was a better chance USC would turn the ball over rather than the Sun Devils completing a 22-yard pass? Yikes.

The Turning Point: When the Sun Devils found themselves down by just one score with plenty of time remaining (4:29) to tie it up, they reverted back to old habits. After initially gaining a first down on the drive, ASU was whistled for a holding penalty, pushing them back 10 yards, then an illegal forward pass, costing another five. On third and 23, all the team could muster was a 2-yard pass, and a furious comeback was wasted.

ASU MVP: Junior Josh Barrett is looking more and more dominant every week. The free safety spearheaded ASU's impressive defensive effort by leading the team with nine tackles, seven of which were solo.

USC MVP: Tailback Chauncey Washington enjoyed a breakout game, pacing the Trojans. The junior rushed for 108 yards on 22 carries including a 2-yard, go-ahead touchdown with 4:29 remaining in the game.

Injury Report: Junior left tackle Brandon Rodd left the game in the first quarter with a hamstring injury and did not return. Junior Julius Orieukwu replaced him.

Up Next: ASU returns to Sun Devil Stadium Saturday to face Stanford in the annual homecoming game.

Reach the reporter at: drex1_phx@hotmail.com.

×